Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Climate control on my 09 g8 gt broke best case scenerio its going to cost $960 to fix, for that price id rather just buy a new head unit but the g8 designs climate control touch screen is out of stock is there any other options you guys know of to change out the radio and climate controls?

·
Pontiac Crazy
424 Posts
G8Designs is your only option for a full aftermarket double din unfortunately. A new kit just debuted down under but it is currently only for single zone HVAC cars.

Your other viable option would be a series 2 radio from Australia or a Caprice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang im really going to have to pay this dealer $1000 to fix this nonsense so my heat/air works again, I figured for that much money i might as well just upgrade the system i cannot believe there is no other options out there this sucks.
thanks for your reply

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've seen where you can get the IQ from people for $1000 (assuming you're willing to install it yourself). You might consider that if you feel capable of doing the install.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
My Climate control on my 09 g8 gt broke best case scenerio its going to cost $960 to fix, for that price id rather just buy a new head unit but the g8 designs climate control touch screen is out of stock is there any other options you guys know of to change out the radio and climate controls?
Any idea what broke?

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Before you go and buy one you need to get the vin on the head unit. Not all of them are compatable but all of them are Vin matched to the car. what this means is you need to buy a compatable unit and then have the dealer set it for you so that it will work in your car. Not all dealers will do it and the ones that will need the Vin number that the doner head unit is coming off of. Good luck, it's a PITA but can be done. I broke mine messing around with it and had to go through this getting replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Before you go and buy one you need to get the vin on the head unit. Not all of them are compatable but all of them are Vin matched to the car. what this means is you need to buy a compatable unit and then have the dealer set it for you so that it will work in your car. Not all dealers will do it and the ones that will need the Vin number that the doner head unit is coming off of. Good luck, it's a PITA but can be done. I broke mine messing around with it and had to go through this getting replacement.
The dealer is going to charge an hour of labor for this ($100+). It would be cheaper to follow HoLLo's guide for changing the VIN oneself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts