Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 09 g8 GXP with 99k miles, replacing stock suspension with pedders coilovers. I know front strut mounts are shot but can’t tell if rear shock upper mount bushings are good haven’t pulled out shock, I’m sure the rear shock is bad because going over bumps is just so bouncy. If it is bad I’m trying to find a replacement bushing. Iv looked all over can only find the plate but without bushings? Now is there a alternative I can use perhaps camaro bushings?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Get Camaro mounts with bushings in them. There are a few part numbers available from different Camaro suspensions, the difference being the bushing. I put in a set that said they cross ref to just about every suspension, and the rear is nice and firm. But I assume they are base level firmness, or average maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get Camaro mounts with bushings in them. There are a few part numbers available from different Camaro suspensions, the difference being the bushing. I put in a set that said they cross ref to just about every suspension, and the rear is nice and firm. But I assume they are base level firmness, or average maybe?
Thanks J Wikoff, what year camaro?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I think any 5th gen, so 2010 to 15.

They might be called shock mount OR strut mount. I think I got Moog brand, as they were well priced at the time.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Don’t be too surprised if they are fine to reuse. They are never under any spring pressure. They only resist the shock going in and out.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Most likely, they need to be replaced. Also inspect inner upper control arm bushings. I've gone through all of mine and those two were the most damaged.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Also, using the washer to press the top mount bushings in/out worked well for us. Might be obvious to others but other methods had us frustrated for a minute.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
What kind of press do you have? I have a c-clamp style bushing press and I didn't see a way to pull it off.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Reactions: J Wikoff

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Unless you need the press for other jobs, it’s cheaper to just buy the plate WITH the new bushing in it.

Reactions: J Wikoff

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Or locate a machine shop/equivalent with a press and have them installed for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also linked to an all thread method. The job doesn't require a press it's just what I used. The key is just to use the washer to press it in/out otherwise you can end up fighting it even with a good press. Buying a whole new top plate is totally unnecessary, at least in my case as there was zero rust or corrosion to the plate itself. Camaro and G8 bushings are the same part number if I remember correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts