Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
F1rehawk
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Messaged Cold Case Radiators regarding the fitment when using an OTR CAI like the VCM on our engines and got this reply:

"It would be pretty similar to the stock radiator. You would need to use the same brackets and tilt."

I've searched the forums and went to some car meets and one G8 owner said it would work with the VCM, which is considerably bigger than the Vararam.

Still haven't witnessed a single G8 using this combination along with the upgraded hoses. Can anyone confirm it would work?

Heard the fitment was not perfect but it seems like the only and best replacement option for the GT. Will soon do a full DOD Delete and Cam swap so it would be a good time to upgrade the radiator before it eventually cracks and causes issues.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As they are saying, it's similar fit to the OEM radiator therefore the VCM would fit just the same. I ended up returning my cold case radiator because of the cap fitment issue. I went back to OEM. Even with the added horsepower and 100+ ambient temps out here I have not had cooling issues. Plus I think the OEM radiator is a bit better with an OTR because I could see an all-aluminum radiator melting the plastic parts of the intake if they touched whereas the OEM plastic tanks do not radiate as much heat from the surface. Also slightly lower under-hood temps. Of course, if it starts to crack and leak that's the main downside but they are easy to change and you could buy 4 of them for the price of the cold case.

·
F1rehawk
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As they are saying, it's similar fit to the OEM radiator therefore the VCM would fit just the same. I ended up returning my cold case radiator because of the cap fitment issue. I went back to OEM. Even with the added horsepower and 100+ ambient temps out here I have not had cooling issues. Plus I think the OEM radiator is a bit better with an OTR because I could see an all-aluminum radiator melting the plastic parts of the intake if they touched whereas the OEM plastic tanks do not radiate as much heat from the surface. Also slightly lower under-hood temps. Of course, if it starts to crack and leak that's the main downside but they are easy to change and you could buy 4 of them for the price of the cold case.
Thanks for the reply, I think I will stick with the stock one for now. Wouldn't want to melt the CAI unit. Heard lots of fitment issues as well.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Don't know if you are a fan of the looks but I went with Orssom and love it. I watched my mechanic do it in like 20 minutes. No issues yet after at least five years now. Knock on wood.

·
F1rehawk
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if you are a fan of the looks but I went with Orssom and love it. I watched my mechanic do it in like 20 minutes. No issues yet after at least five years now. Knock on wood.
This thread is actually about the Radiator unit :wink3:

Need some coffee mate? :coffee:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
My bad. I thought you were looking into OTR intakes and didn't want to have to tilt the radiator for fitment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I think I will stick with the stock one for now. Wouldn't want to melt the CAI unit. Heard lots of fitment issues as well.
The fitment of the radiator itself wasn't too bad, I think I had to slightly enlarge the mounting holes for the condenser but nothing major. It's too bad the cap threads were way off. I had a rotofab at the time and there would have been no issues with that. In my opinion, the VCM does not require you to tilt the radiator back that much.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ve had 2 cold case radiators 1st fit ok I guess 2nd had horrible fitment. Both had issues with cap. Both ended up leaking with 6-9 months in almost exactly the same place in fin pack. Bought a $100 aftermarket unit from eBay that looks and fits just like the stock one did and so far has had no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
walsfan
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing