Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At the annual International Association of Chiefs of Police convention being held in Denver, Colorado, General Motors unveiled an all-new police cruiser, resurrecting the Chevrolet Caprice name. The General was rumored to be working on a police cruiser based on the Australian Holden Commodore (formerly rebadged and sold as the Pontiac G8 in North America). This is not that car.

Due to the need for more passenger and cargo room, this new vehicle, called the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) is based on a different (and larger Australian car) sold as the Holden Caprice/Statesman in its native land. The same rear-drive architecture is also used for the Chevy Camaro.

The car is large, with more interior space than a Ford Crown Vic and almost 4-inches more legroom in the rear seats – so you'll be in for a comfortable ride after your botched attempt to rob the 7/11. There's also more room up front and special seats were designed to keep officers comfortable over long periods of time. Because the Caprice isn't based on any current road going vehicle in North America, the vehicle was purpose built with plenty of input from law enforcement agencies. They even went so far as to use materials that will hold up better to more rigorous use.

Best of all, the car will come with a 6.0-liter V8 rated at 355hp and 384 ft-bs of torque. So watch out street racers, because this new cruiser can hit 60 mph in less than six seconds. A V6 engine will also be offered in the future.

"The new Chevrolet Caprice police car is the right tool at the right time for law enforcement," said Jim Campbell, general manager for GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. "We asked for a lot of feedback from our police customers, which helped us develop a vehicle that is superior to the Crown Victoria in key areas."

GM will begin selling the Chevrolet Caprice PPV in 2011, exclusively to law enforcement agencies.

More: Report: GM Resurrects Chevy Caprice With 355-Horsepower Police Cruiser on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rotten GM sons of .......! Bring more of the Zeta platform over here. Not everyone wants to pay more for a shortened version with a Camaro body! Bring us the VXR8 and the Maloo and the SportWagon (ClubSport) for crying out loud. If Gm was serious about selling quality cars instead of coing business as usual they'd bring the good stuff back stateside. I hate this tease us for 2-3yrs and pull the product. I just got my G8 a few days ago and Love it, now I want the UTE/Maloo. Either they bring it or I'll find a way to ship one in. Junk the current Malibu line and put a shortened 2 door version of the Commodore (Chevy Arabia version) and call it the Chevelle. Give us the old GM that People loved and couldn't wait to order our cars from. Stop the Lying and the Excuses and bring us the products you sell overseas.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Rotten GM sons of .......! Bring more of the Zeta platform over here. Not everyone wants to pay more for a shortened version with a Camaro body! Bring us the VXR8 and the Maloo and the SportWagon (ClubSport) for crying out loud. If Gm was serious about selling quality cars instead of coing business as usual they'd bring the good stuff back stateside. I hate this tease us for 2-3yrs and pull the product. I just got my G8 a few days ago and Love it, now I want the UTE/Maloo. Either they bring it or I'll find a way to ship one in. Junk the current Malibu line and put a shortened 2 door version of the Commodore (Chevy Arabia version) and call it the Chevelle. Give us the old GM that People loved and couldn't wait to order our cars from. Stop the Lying and the Excuses and bring us the products you sell overseas.

VERY WELL STATED! :judge: thepaidtraveler for President!:us_flag:

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
Words cannot explain how true you are and how much i agree with you.

Get his ass in the CEO chair NOW!!!!!!!

Yet another reason GM likely won't get my money in the future. What a bunch of morons.
Agreed.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I can't wait to pick one of these up used!
Seems like those of us with a friend in the business, say our friend was a top salesman at an ex-Pontiac dealership for example, might be able to buy one as a "fleet sale." Or maybe this theoretical salesman would have lots of friends. If so, it would bring a whole new meaning to the term "group buy."

Let's see, who wants to be the "Chief" of the "Upper Puxtawatney" police department?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Now we wait for the inevitable GM retraction of this announcement. It will be cancelled because they can't make a "business case" for it. Instead there will be a 9C1 version of the Chevy Aveo!:driving:

GTO_04

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Let's see, GM made this announcement without any input from Fritz the Cat? But Bob Lutz, the once great and loved, now referred to as "The Eunuch", was not involved in the proclamation, so it stands a chance of being true! That said, GM just further proved how FUBAR it truly is! :wink2::pir_flag:

·
BMW Killer
731 Posts
I can't see this car becoming a car of choice for Police! They all seem to love those Chargers and they look far more agressive than this Caprice (fudd to call it this). They should have just called it the Statesman as it is. Also GM sucks!!!! They could have brought this car over for consumers! Im always on eBay.au looking at the Statesmen wishing we had this option! BTW someone posted a live vid of this car in action on YouTube!

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
I can't see this car becoming a car of choice for Police! They all seem to love those Chargers and they look far more agressive than this Caprice (fudd to call it this). They should have just called it the Statesman as it is. Also GM sucks!!!! They could have brought this car over for consumers! Im always on eBay.au looking at the Statesmen wishing we had this option! BTW someone posted a live vid of this car in action on YouTube!
They call it a Caprice because that's what it's based on.

The Caprice police package is based on the long-wheelbase Australian Holden Caprice...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=158468

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I almost spit out my coffee!
Tell me if Im not seeing things. Did you see in the video the one legger burnout the cruiser left. Dont even tell me GM will release this car with it not having limited slip.
It reminds me of my mothers old Caprice that I used to sneak out when I was 15 leaving single wheel burnouts all over the place.
Leave it to GM to cheese out on certain things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Words cannot explain how true you are and how much i agree with you.

Get his ass in the CEO chair NOW!!!!!!!

Agreed.

Thanks Guys. I'm just another Fed-up GM loving consumer! I'm ever so tired of the bland corporate mentality that permeates this company still. If these people actually marketed their products correctly we would've never seen GM go bankrupt and Pontiac would be alive and well. I used to love going through the car lots and dream of owning certain vehicles when I was younger and now I rarely enjoy it at all. Foot traffic is where it's at. If they have nothing inspiring to present us then why would we bother to be loyal to any brand under any banner? Why stick with a company that gets a product right and sells it for 2-3yrs (94-96 Impala SS, 04-06 GTO, 08-09 G8)? These cars we awesome during their time in the light and they could've been like the Mustang is now and very Iconic. Instead these GMorons just want to produce 2 types of cars (throwaways and collector's cars). The biggest problem is the collectors themselves too as they perpetuate the problems and keep GM producing just for them. I went and looked at the Camaro and the frign salesman and I had issues. I told him I was looking for a coupe that was suited for long distance driving (A GT car) and he was only promoting the Camaro as a drive around town for 10-30 miles and then wash it in your driveway and wipe it clean with a diaper!! Saying that this would be a collectors item later on. He completely missed what I was telling him and just spewed out the Corporate propaganda. I had to walk away. Is this the GM we currently have? Isn't this the GM we had before that ended up broke too? Sorry for my long rant guys and gals but somethings really need to be said about this.

·
BMW Killer
731 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Now we wait for the inevitable GM retraction of this announcement. It will be cancelled because they can't make a "business case" for it. Instead there will be a 9C1 version of the Chevy Aveo!:driving:

GTO_04
9C1 Aveo FTFW!!!! :wink2:

·
Rayvan
701 Posts
Hard to blame GM for not offering this car in US, when the CAFE mandated by the current administration is 35 mpg. :(

·
BMW Killer
731 Posts
Hard to blame GM for not offering this car in US, when the CAFE mandated by the current administration is 35 mpg. :(
So that mandate dosen't apply to gov't official and patrol cars? Not really buying that for this senario. Plus the car has Flex-fuel capability!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts