Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Several months ago GM's Australian Holden division announced that it would offer a special edition of the Commodore, dressed up to look like the Pontiac G8. Called the Holden VE Commodore SS V-Series Special Edition, the new model looks mostly identical to the Pontiac model (itself based on the Commodore), except for the absence of any Pontiac badging.

The model has been such a huge success, that Holden has now said it will continue to offer the package indefinitely. Retailing for $1,000 Australian premium ($923 U.S.), dealerships are even ordering stockiles of Pontiac badges so Aussie gearheads can more accurately replicate the G8.

Sadly, the Aussie's enthusiasm for the car isn't shared by American consumers, or at least not by the execs at General Motors, who killed off the Pontiac brand shortly after it began to offer the G8 – arguably the best product from the company in 30 years.

More: Report: Holden "Pontiac G8 Edition" Commodore Proves Popular in Australia on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats great news for everyone who wants to change their car over to a Holden look they are over there wanting to separate themselves from the crowd too.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I wonder how exclusive my G8 will be when we move to the United Kingdom (Wales)......

I may see an occasional Vauhall..... but I can't wait.... :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Cool article too! Gotta love the Aussie motor heads..... :)

That's the only reason we have this car.....

Several months ago GM's Australian Holden division announced that it would offer a special edition of the Commodore, dressed up to look like the Pontiac G8. Called the Holden VE Commodore SS V-Series Special Edition, the new model looks mostly identical to the Pontiac model (itself based on the Commodore), except for the absence of any Pontiac badging.

The model has been such a huge success, that Holden has now said it will continue to offer the package indefinitely. Retailing for $1,000 Australian premium ($923 U.S.), dealerships are even ordering stockiles of Pontiac badges so Aussie gearheads can more accurately replicate the G8.

Sadly, the Aussie's enthusiasm for the car isn't shared by American consumers, or at least not by the execs at General Motors, who killed off the Pontiac brand shortly after it began to offer the G8 – arguably the best product from the company in 30 years.

More: Report: Holden "Pontiac G8 Edition" Commodore Proves Popular in Australia on AutoGuide.com

·
BMW Killer
731 Posts
Just think we now "officially" have Holden Commodore SS-V-Series Special Edition Pontiacs!!! ---- Yes all that! :p

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Not to mention the resultant improvement in the availability of body parts! Gotta love the way GM listens to its customer wants and needs thou! They kill off a car line in resurgence, then slap us in the face by making it available only in foreign countries!:wink2::judge:

·
Registered
12 Posts
We buy parts to make ours look like a Holden and they buy parts to make theirs look like a Pontiac. Brialliant marketing scheme!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
This is so cool. I posted a short while back that it would beneat if performance Holdens were styled like Pontiacs. Now all we have to do is expand Pontiac styling to the entire HSV performance line, pay back the govt loan, and voila Pontiac reemerges when Buick dealers start complaining that all their customers are 65 and older. No wonder GM kept the Pontiac name. The dealers are still there. I think I smell a plan...Bob Lutz you guerilla fighter, genius, you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is so cool. I posted a short while back that it would beneat if performance Holdens were styled like Pontiacs. Now all we have to do is expand Pontiac styling to the entire HSV performance line, pay back the govt loan, and voila Pontiac reemerges when Buick dealers start complaining that all their customers are 65 and older. No wonder GM kept the Pontiac name. The dealers are still there. I think I smell a plan...Bob Lutz you guerilla fighter, genius, you.

As soon as GM begins making a solid profit for a few years straight Pontiac will be back. Buick's customer base is dying....literally.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
it's sort of funny how the Aussie motorheads change badges/etc to make their cars look more Pontiac-ish, and so many USA motorheads change the badges to make the car more Holden-ish. :)
(similar for both GTO & G8!)

·
Registered
121 Posts
as a consumer you'd think the ppl who want the holden look would get smart and just find someone who wants a G8 look in AU and trade our parts for theirs fair trade and just pay the couple hundred for shipping. Would be much cheaper than purchasing the parts and then having a ton of spare parts laying around collecting dust

Am I wrong here?

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I hope it wasnt a wet dream...lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey guys i bought one of these. its great. i love the look. its sorta like everyone has a holden commodore, and i want something that looks different. in the US everyone has a G8 so people change theirs took look like a holden. my problem is that im trying to complete the look. ive got all the exterior badging, and the dash cluster from a g8. the only thing im missing is the "g8" trunk badge. do any of you guys no where i can get one, ebay isnt helping me lately, and also if anyone knows where i can get the badge for the steering wheel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts