Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevy's next generation Camaro is going to shrink in size from its current behemoth underpinnings and share a new global Alpha platform with the third-generation Cadillac CTS and the all-new ATS. With the next Camaro due out in 2015, the CTS is destined to bow in 2013 as a 2014 model, while the 3-Series fighting ATS is scheduled to arrive just afterwards.

The news comes from a report by Motor Trend after a presentation by consultancy firm Grant Thornton LLP at the Automotive Press Association on Thursday.

Other details revealed include plans to discontinue the CTS Coupe and SportWagon, likely because both a coupe, convertible and wagon version of the ATS are in the works. The CTS will then grow slightly (by roughly 6-inches) to be more in line with the 5 Series and E-Class.

To make this plan cost effective its likely that the new Alpha platform will use different amounts of aluminum and steel depending on whether it is being used for a Cadillac or a Chevy, with the Caddy getting a higher percentage of lighter, but more expensive, aluminum.

In addition to this new MT also suggests, the 2015 Camaro SS is likely to get a supercharged or turbocharged V6, rather than a V8.

More: Report: Next Camaro to Shrink In Size, Join Cadillac CTS and ATS on New Smaller Platform on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting. Although on the MT prediction, they seem to be more wrong than right in their predictions.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I don't think V8's are history, I just think they wont be as common in mid-level cars like $30k-$40k range.

I think we'll see them only commonly used in $40k-$60k range cars. Kind of like how V10's are rare but not extinct and only used in ultra-high performance cars.

The V8 will stay but be up-scale power/luxury use. Like CTS-V, M5, AMG, etc... Rather than every other "sports" car.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
FYI I read somewhere the CTS will end in 2012 or 2013.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Why would they end the CTS shortly after releasing the coupe and wagon? Doesn't make sense... but we are talking about GM.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Ill try to find the article.

·
GWS Pontiac
634 Posts
Rip Van Winkle said:
Why would they end the CTS shortly after releasing the coupe and wagon? Doesn't make sense... but we are talking about GM.
maybe, radical restructuring after a near bankruptcy and an influence from Gov't bailouts might have something to do with it ...

good morning, btw

;)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Yeah, what we need is a 4-5L DI V8....maybe with a dash of electrojuice to top it off with.

The V6 has come a long way and can do most of the heavy lifting, but the V8 will have a place in the future but like stated...maybe more for luxury cars.

While...can they pass off a top of the line Camaro or Mustang with V6's? I'm open to it...but will the die hard old timers allow such a thing without mass suicide?

Time will tell...

You know the V6 in the Camaro RS would be great in a 3300-3500 pound mid size sedan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
G84me,

Hell im only 26 and wouldnt buy a camaro if the top of the line engine was only a v6. Just seems a little ridiculous, regardless of hp and tq to put a v6 in MUSCLE car. GM cant blame fuel economy either, look at fords new v6 ecoboost engine for the sho taurus, mpg is simialr to our v8s and it gives up some tq to our v8s, plus it runs on premium gas and souds......like a v6 with asthma.

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
G84me,

Hell im only 26 and wouldnt buy a camaro if the top of the line engine was only a v6. Just seems a little ridiculous, regardless of hp and tq to put a v6 in MUSCLE car. GM cant blame fuel economy either, look at fords new v6 ecoboost engine for the sho taurus, mpg is simialr to our v8s and it gives up some tq to our v8s, plus it runs on premium gas and souds......like a v6 with asthma.
That's what always cracked me up about those EcoBoost commercials touting "the power of a V-8 and the fuel economy of a V-6".:bs:

More like, "the power of a big V-8 and the fuel economy of a small V-8".

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's what always cracked me up about those EcoBoost commercials touting "the power of a V-8 and the fuel economy of a V-6".:bs:

More like, "the power of a big V-8 and the fuel economy of a small V-8".

don't forget what car company is saying this qoute "FORD" with there 315hp/325tq 4.6 V8 vs 365hp/350TQ 3.5 V6. For them it makes since to kill the V8 since its so weak in the power dept.
meanwhile GM has only started catching up with the asian car makers with making power out of a V6 hence the new camaro CTS v6.
Dodge on the other hand will never be able to get rid of the hemi cause they're V6 suck. So I think there will always be a V8 but you might have to buy a dodge.
What happen to the inline 6 used in the trailblazers I thought that was a good power plant GM should replace the 4.3 in there full size truck with the inline 6.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Specifics - yep, the next Camaro will ride on the new Alpha platform. Cadillac will get that first for their new "ATS" vehicle line, which is a 3-series competitor. The current CTS (Sigma) will die, and the next CTS will ride on a stretched version of Alpha. Basically the ATS is taking the position the CTS did when it came out, and the CTS is moving up to the STS range (in price, if not in size).

And yes, V8's will become scarce, but not extinct, in the future. Having the Corporate Average Fuel Economy fleet average rise to 35 mpg in the future will do that (yes, it's an average, but how many 40+ mpg vehicles do they need to sell in order to sell x number of 25 mpg Camaros?)...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rayvan, what you said is incorrect "It's not a 6 cyl. that was in the TrailBlazer, it's an inline 5 cyl." The trailblazers recieved a 4.2l inline 6 cyl or a 5.3l or a 6.0l v8. The inline 4.2l 6 cyl engine was leaps and bounds ahead of its time when it was launched in 02. it was rated at 275hp and 275 tq with vairable valve intake and exhaust timing, which was later changed to only variable intake (or exhaust cant remember) in later years. The engie can't make the current mpg requirements. Its easier for gm to use a big v8 and cut half the cylinders or back it off to a direct injection v6 with a 6spd auto then revise the inline 6.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts