Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Perhaps General Motors CEO Fritz Henderson and his newly appointed Vice Chairman Bob Lutz should sit down, have a talk and get their stories straight.

After consistently saying that the Pontiac G8 would be eliminated with the rest of the Pontiac brand, it seemed as though Henderson had a change of heart after his newly appointed Vice Chair and product boss Lutz proudly proclaimed that the G8 would live on as a Chevrolet Caprice. Calling it "too good to waste". Lutz said the rebadged G8 would be available for consumers and as a special model for police departments.

Now, according to an Autoblog interview with Henderson, it seems only the latter is true. "We've been looking at it for police applications. As for whether or not it's broader than police applications, I am not a believer in re-branding and re-badging. We've been talking about in terms of potential police applications and we'll leave it at that."

So there you have it, the official word on the future of the Pontiac G8 … at least until Lutz opens his mouth next.

For a company that recently emerged from bankruptcy and that is trying to promote confidence in its leadership, General Motors certainly isn't doing a very convincing job.

More: Report: Pontiac G8 Future as Chevrolet Caprice Back in Doubt on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
147 Posts
Who the heck knows?

Even if it's brought in for "police only" applications that should help stateside with the inbound supply of some parts?

I'm to the point I don't care: I've got a car I love and, as long as I can get it repaired; it's all good!

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
Ok, we will see who is right, maybe it is not a "re-badge", but re-introduction or re-styling with the improvements of the coming VF? Rumor is that it is a 2011 car

"Citing an informed and confidential source within GM's executive ranks, Automotive Traveler has confirmed that not only will Pontiac's highly regarded G8 sedan migrate to the Chevrolet brand, but it will be built in North America at GM's Oshawa, Ontario plant."

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=717&Itemid=194

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Bob said that both Zeta and Zeta II have life going forward. Whether that means a Buick Firebird, or a Police Interceptor RPO (like in the really old days - if you knew the code anyone could order a PI)

Broderick Crawford made Buick police cruisers famous.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Bob said that both Zeta and Zeta II have life going forward. Whether that means a Buick Firebird, or a Police Interceptor RPO (like in the really old days - if you knew the code anyone could order a PI)

How about a Buick Coupe 60?

Broderick Crawford made Buick police cruisers famous.
Talk about digging! HIGHWAY PATROL with Broderick Crawford! A favorite of the early TV days watchers, era '50s to mid "60s. I remember watching them as a kid, both new and the reruns! Good stuff at the time!:wink2::pir_flag:

·
Registered
63 Posts
How many times are we going to beat this dead horse. For the love of God let this thing die. I do not want to see my car as a police car or a chevy!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
How many times are we going to beat this dead horse. For the love of God let this thing die. I do not want to see my car as a police car or a chevy!
But you see, it wouldn't be your car! It would be a re-styled Holden made to look like a Chevy something! I mean, the Commodore buyers aren't pissy about the fact that their car is a Pontiac! I say bring on the Chevys! Maybe some old style Camaro/Firebird challenges would get started with G8s and Caprice's (or whatever)! Sounds like fun!:wink2::pir_flag:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
DENIED!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/16/from-the-horses-mouth-lutz-says-pontiac-g8-wont-spawn-chevrol/

"The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I'd mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

"That's all still true. But I have to say that, with my new "marketing" hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today's market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be."

·
#167 of 888
106 Posts
I wonder how long before the "New" GM is *back* in bankruptcy. This car is dead, but they'll build a $47,000 electric Malibu that no one will want at that price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Who the heck knows?

Even if it's brought in for "police only" applications that should help stateside with the inbound supply of some parts?

I'm to the point I don't care: I've got a car I love and, as long as I can get it repaired; it's all good!
It's not like we can't get parts from Australia where its one of the top selling cars.

Even if parts are stocked in the US they are still expensive because this is, afterall, a foreign and unique car. Selling it as a Chevrolet would not have changed that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree. I don't think it would have been a good thing from a resale or rarity standpoint for current G8 owners by any means.

Also, GM has to return to profitability. As far as I know the GTO and G8 import programs (like the Astra and Kappa roadsters) had virtually no chance of turning a profit. If that's true how can anyone champion a car like this when it doesn't make a bankrupt company money?

I like Holden cars and they are the best part of GM. Forgive me if I don't get too worked up to see GM try the Holden experiment with ugly results a 3rd time.

·
gxp223 jordan time
486 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
My take is that it is not a ploy and that the idea of our beloved car coming back was nothing more than Lutz getting some press time. Henderson slapped him around a bit. Now GM can go back to planning the EcoObamaBoxes that will save the planet and run on love.

·
1 of 45
162 Posts
Lutz has officially "seen the light," not to mention, "the error of his ways;" supposedly, these are his own words:

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...%E2%80%A6.html

Personally, I still think this decision has more to do with the G8 being manufactured in a non-UAW facility than it being a "green" issue. In fact, it's interesting to note that Lutz goes out of his way to praise the RWD design team in Australia:

"And we have a tremendous RWD team in Australia that gave us the beloved G8, a team that we will tap into at some point again in the future for its expertise and sheet metal. Just not right now."

He can say that because the none of design teams have UAW members!!

And no one on the ATF is up-in-arms over the Camaro...it's assembled by CAW members at Oshawa. Also, several ATF members were supposedly very excited about the prospects of the CTS-V Coupe as their personal cars.

Anyway, the GM site does allow for responses from readers, so you may want to read his entry and tactfully respond. At least say that you want to see GM continue to put out great cars like the G8, regardless of where they're manufactured. And our say in the matter should count for a little more, given that we've put up our own, hard-earned dollars to buy a GM product, even if it is a dead-branded, re-badged Holden! :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Personally, I still think this decision has more to do with the G8 being manufactured in a non-UAW facility than it being a "green" issue.
GM imports many times the amount of Aveos and vehicles built in Mexico than Holden could ever supply from Australia.

I don't think Lutz is kidding, the car has a weak business case and it's profitability is questionable given the currency fluctuation and other costs associated with selling a Holden here.

It's not like people can't suddenly go out and get a G8 right now either. There's still plenty of them out there and they'll always be available second-hand until GM is ready to try the Holden experiment again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
2 things that strike me when read this post

1)GM leadership is still bad
2)What happened after the juggling bowling ball kid knocked out the other little girl? Holy crap!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts