Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

With yesterday's announcement of the Chevrolet Caprice police cruiser, General Motors was clear to indicate that a civilian version of the car would not be offered. According to a report by the GM know-it-alls at GMInsideNews, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that no rear-drive full-sized sedans are coming.

With GM back on track, the company is reportedly re-examining the possibility of building one or even two vehicles on the full-sized Zeta platform. Product boss Bob Lutz is particularly interested in using the platform to underpin two new sedans: one for Chevy and one for Cadillac. GM does already have plans to build the Cadillac XTS, but it be offered as either a front-drive or all-wheel drive model, with no rear-drive option available. GMI's sources indicate, however, that there has been considerable discussion on this topic by GM execs as many people doubt Cadillac can ever achieve top-tier luxury status without a true rear-drive S-Class/7 Series competitor. The discussion has even moved into action as several individuals within the company have been tasked with proposals for the car.

A new Caprice model in Australia is due out in 2013, so if GM does bring back a civilian Caprice or create a new rear-drive full-sized Cadillac, it would most likely have to wait until then.

More: Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
While hope springs eternal, it wasn't too long ago that Lutz said:

"The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I'd mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

"That's all still true. But I have to say that, with my new "marketing" hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today's market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be."

And good old Fritz said:

"We've been looking at it for police applications. As for whether or not it's broader than police applications, I am not a believer in re-branding and re-badging. We've been talking about in terms of potential police applications and we'll leave it at that."

Maybe something really changed in the last three months, but I doubt it. They couldn't make a business case for it a few months ago and the head of the company said he didn't believe in rebranding and rebadging, but maybe they now see the light?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe something really changed in the last three months, but I doubt it. They couldn't make a business case for it a few months ago and the head of the company said he didn't believe in rebranding and rebadging, but maybe they now see the light?
I think that was a BS excuse anyways...the way I see it, Zeta was built as a "global" platform...how could you turn a Holden built vehicle into a global platform without rebranding and rebadging? There's no Holden brand in North America. It's a bit different from, for example, the GM W-body...Grand Prix, Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse...All the same car in the same market.

·
Registered
705 Posts

With yesterday's announcement of the Chevrolet Caprice police cruiser, General Motors was clear to indicate that a civilian version of the car would not be offered. According to a report by the GM know-it-alls at GMInsideNews, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that no rear-drive full-sized sedans are coming.

With GM back on track, the company is reportedly re-examining the possibility of building one or even two vehicles on the full-sized Zeta platform. Product boss Bob Lutz is particularly interested in using the platform to underpin two new sedans: one for Chevy and one for Cadillac. GM does already have plans to build the Cadillac XTS, but it be offered as either a front-drive or all-wheel drive model, with no rear-drive option available. GMI's sources indicate, however, that there has been considerable discussion on this topic by GM execs as many people doubt Cadillac can ever achieve top-tier luxury status without a true rear-drive S-Class/7 Series competitor. The discussion has even moved into action as several individuals within the company have been tasked with proposals for the car.

A new Caprice model in Australia is due out in 2013, so if GM does bring back a civilian Caprice or create a new rear-drive full-sized Cadillac, it would most likely have to wait until then.

More: Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models on AutoGuide.com
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Amazing how these styling changes can convert a hot, sexy G8 into a total snoozemobile Caprice.
What, you don't like the typical boring GM designs? If you hate these, just wait 'til the "Green" designs start hitting the light of day! Being under the government thumb as they are, there is no way to go but down design wise! :wink2::pir_flag:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing ever since I saw those pics a few months ago. I don't think they're ugly or anything, but definitely not as nice looking as our G8's. I'm thinking the Aussie's think so too since they have started offering basically our G8's down under as well.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Is it just me, or does this look waaaaaay to much like a Ford Five Hundred with Chevy badges? :barf:
Nope, doesn't look anything like a Gillette Mach 3 razor.:wink2:

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
http://www.chevrolet.com.br/action/sessionAction?func=Static&cntry_cd=BR&lang_cd=pt&website_cd=GBPBR&section=CarHome&subSection=OmegaOmega

GM still sells the Commodore as a Chevrolet (Omega) with left hand drive but only with a V6 in Brazil! I guess it's time to head south and pick on up. Even just a chassis with no drivetrain and then find a donor/wrecked G8 GT and you got the Chevy CR8!

lots of possibilities!
It's easier said than done. If you can arrange transport of only the bodies & chassis (or even the whole car), then it would still cost more than anyone would want to pay.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/retail-chevrolet-caprice-being-considered-gm-85919/

A couple of questions asked at gmreinvention.com show that maybe a retail version of the caprice might still be alive. This going back and forth is killing me.
It's not killing me anymore. I gave up months ago. If it arrives, fine. If not, whatever.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Haven't they beat'in this topic to death yet, Lutz wants RWD, then doesn't, that man has more trouble making decision than Brett Farve.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts