Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I work at an auction and lb for lb next to corollas, civics, accords, camrys and some 4x4 stuff the G8 even the V6 hold their value very well!
This is seeing it through 8 years of auction experience.

trust me, go to a dealer only auction one day if you can, audis, BMWs Mercedes Volvo and SAAB go for penny's! I see 9 year old G8s still going for $15-25K and sometimes dealers don't make much on them, they just like having them on their lots
I almost purchased an 06' AMG for $12K, consider the cost at a dealership when new...
Now look at a G8 GT non sport going for "GM Sales blow out" $27,000 NEW and still selling for around $20+ with low mileage today

I won't be selling mine any time soon so I don't really care with the exception of needing $$$$$$ for an emergency I know I could offload it.
I hope to have my dealers license one day. I love cars! I am sure you see some great deals at auction, but you must have an all cash offer...

I bought mine new in 09 for $30,000 out the door. I traded it in with 99,069 miles on it this past summer and got $15,500 in trade. I'm curious as to what you guys think you have in your driveway, a car or a 401k plan? It's a car, their value always goes down unless it's a classic and as much as I love the G8 it ain't a classic yet. I was thrilled to get more then 1/2 what I paid for the car 7 years and almost 100,000 miles later!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
There will be a period where people who don't know what they got will sell thier g8 gt for less and people who do know what they got will sell for more. I am one of those people who love my GT and wouldn't even consider a number under 18 and I'm at 75k on the odometer.

I think there's a good chance of our cars values going up over the years. There's no more Pontiac and now there is no more Holden. Getting parts is getting harder and as that happens, the value of parts goes up. Which I'd think would make our cars be worth more. And as people total theirs or lose them some otber way, there will be fewer and fewer g8s to come by. Hence increasing their value. Supply and demand. And as long as there is a demand for the g8 , the value should at least hold if not go up due to less supply.
Good answer Pony Killer!!

I agree that we are seeing a dip in value, but I believe it will go up again. the G8 GT will never be a collector car, but it should be worth more than an L76 crate motor and ECU.

Are parts getting hard to find already?

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I bought mine new in 09 for $30,000 out the door. I traded it in with 99,069 miles on it this past summer and got $15,500 in trade. I'm curious as to what you guys think you have in your driveway, a car or a 401k plan? It's a car, their value always goes down unless it's a classic and as much as I love the G8 it ain't a classic yet. I was thrilled to get more then 1/2 what I paid for the car 7 years and almost 100,000 miles later!
401k? Who said a car is a retirement plan? We are talking about resell value, not investment tips!
I don't think the G8 will never be a collectable classic. Maybe the GXP.

A few other reasons to consider for pricing variation, in my humble opinion:

- Who you buy from matters (dealer vs private sale)
- Time of Year matters (summer vs winter, dealer clearance events, etc)
- Geography matters (supply vs demand within search radius, cold weather, etc)

401k? Who said a car is a retirement plan? We are talking about resell value, not investment tips!
I don't think the G8 will never be a collectable classic. Maybe the GXP.
That was kinda a wink wink nudge nudge reply as I doubt anyone is REALLY planning on selling their G8 to retire, good grief! LMAO! And a 1969 GTO is worth more then a Lemans but the Lemans still has value, I think this is how the G8 will eventually get.

But my question IS still as valid, how much resale value do you think the car is gonna have? KBB rates a like optioned Charger R/T at no more then $9000 in trade where I got $15,500. I'd say it held its value pretty damn good! I think some of you are expecting way to much out of it. Besides how many here buy a car based on future resale value? That sounds like something the Toyota and Honda crowd stay up nights sweating over. Relax and enjoy the car!

Discussion starter · #28 ·
That was kinda a wink wink nudge nudge reply as I doubt anyone is REALLY planning on selling their G8 to retire, good grief! LMAO! And a 1969 GTO is worth more then a Lemans but the Lemans still has value, I think this is how the G8 will eventually get.

But my question IS still as valid, how much resale value do you think the car is gonna have? KBB rates a like optioned Charger R/T at no more then $9000 in trade where I got $15,500. I'd say it held its value pretty damn good! I think some of you are expecting way to much out of it. Besides how many here buy a car based on future resale value? That sounds like something the Toyota and Honda crowd stay up nights sweating over. Relax and enjoy the car!
I don't think its held its value good, but that is just my humble opinion. I would say average or slightly below average. Mainly because Pontiac closing its doors scared away many potential customers.
I think the g8 should be worth 14-20k depending on condition, but I don't care if it drops to 5k, either way I am riding it until the wheels fall off. I don't believe in garage queens. I drive all my cars like I stole them! I'll roll the odometer over until it says 000000 miles again :grin2:
Saving miles on your car is like saving your girlfriend for the next guy :slap:

I'm relaxed and definitely enjoying the car, its just a discussion Jackalope. :driving:
Why do you think we are expecting too much?

resale $$

I've got my one owner 8000 mile G8 GXP about to go on the market. Its always been garage kept never driven in rain like new Condition still smell the leather gonna try to get close to 40K for her!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I've got my one owner 8000 mile G8 GXP about to go on the market. Its always been garage kept never driven in rain like new Condition still smell the leather gonna try to get close to 40K for her!
Wow!! What a Gem! I think you will get close to 40k easy. GLWS!
Why are you selling and Why have you only been driving 1000 miles a year?
manual?
got pics?

I don't think its held its value good, but that is just my humble opinion. I would say average or slightly below average. Mainly because Pontiac closing its doors scared away many potential customers.
I think the g8 should be worth 14-20k depending on condition, but I don't care if it drops to 5k, either way I am riding it until the wheels fall off. I don't believe in garage queens. I drive all my cars like I stole them! I'll roll the odometer over until it says 000000 miles again :grin2:
Saving miles on your car is like saving your girlfriend for the next guy :slap:

I'm relaxed and definitely enjoying the car, its just a discussion Jackalope. :driving:
Why do you think we are expecting too much?
Oh man are my replies coming off too harsh? I apologize if they did, certainly not my intention.

And the value you say it should bring is what I got out of mine, are you guys having difficulties getting that kind of money? Maybe it's the area you live in? Like I said $15,500 for mine at almost 100,000 miles.

I've seen car prices fluctuate tremendously. Wouldn't be surprised to see GT prices go back up a nudge. That's just how it is.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Oh man are my replies coming off too harsh? I apologize if they did, certainly not my intention.

And the value you say it should bring is what I got out of mine, are you guys having difficulties getting that kind of money? Maybe it's the area you live in? Like I said $15,500 for mine at almost 100,000 miles.
No offense taken, we are all passionate about our cars.
I think that is a fair value... I paid around 15k for mine with 98k so yours is within expectation.

The cheaper ones I have seen have been in the NorthEast, buried in snow, so the area definitely plays a factor.
here is the perfect example, 10k for this high mileage (136k) g8 in VA:
:surprise:
https://cargur.us/dwTZB

If they get down to 7k, I may just buy a spare GT!

I paid $24,929 + TTL for mine 2/13/2009. Brand new, with 18 miles on it. It has 73000+ miles on it now. I am pretty sure I could get $20,000+ for it. Hell, I know I could. Not on trade-in, but selling it privately to an educated buyer. 20/24.929 = 80.22%. Retains over 80% of its original purchase price...after seven years. Not a garage queen either.

I am not alone in benefitting from this calculus, on this or the other board. Many, many original owners still here, on both, with G8s they drive every day. All worth top dollar. Some garage queens, yes. But most used regularly, like mine. And we didn't maintain ours to the nth degree just so we could bend over and take a ****in' when it came time to sell. These original owners, they come here, they read, but they just choose not post, choose not to participate anymore, choose not to chime in here and defend the valuation. 'Cause they know. And their non-participation? That's okay too, cause this party is over, was over, has been over, a few years ago, and unless you are an early buyer of a previously owned G8, well, you guys just missed it. It just ain't the same. But we had a good time, didn't we guys? You know how you get to the party late, and the only thing left is a little clump of sherbet in the punch bowl? That's the G8s you are referring to. That clump sells for $10-$12,000. But the original one-owner's? WE ain't gonna let anyone tell us what our cars are worth. We set the price. And it ain't $12,000. So let's acknowledge that we are talking apples and oranges here. We are talking the same car, but two entirely different markets.

Reactions: bowtiefan
I paid $24,929 + TTL for mine 2/13/2009. Brand new, with 18 miles on it. It has 73000+ miles on it now. I am pretty sure I could get $20,000+ for it. Hell, I know I could. Not on trade-in, but selling it privately to an educated buyer. 20/24.929 = 80.22%. Retains over 80% of its original purchase price...after seven years. Not a garage queen either.

I am not alone in benefitting from this calculus, on this or the other board. Many, many original owners still here, on both, with G8s they drive every day. All worth top dollar. Some garage queens, yes. But most used regularly, like mine. And we didn't maintain ours to the nth degree just so we could bend over and take a ****in' when it came time to sell. These original owners, they come here, they read, but they just choose not post, choose not to participate anymore, choose not to chime in here and defend the valuation. 'Cause they know. And their non-participation? That's okay too, cause this party is over, was over, has been over, a few years ago, and unless you are an early buyer of a previously owned G8, well, you guys just missed it. It just ain't the same. But we had a good time, didn't we guys? You know how you get to the party late, and the only thing left is a little clump of sherbet in the punch bowl? That's the G8s you are referring to. That clump sells for $10-$12,000. But the original one-owner's? WE ain't gonna let anyone tell us what our cars are worth. We set the price. And it ain't $12,000. So let's acknowledge that we are talking apples and oranges here. We are talking the same car, but two entirely different markets.
I find it hard to believe that you bought a brand new GT for $25k out-the-door. Even harder to believe that said car is still worth $20k with 7x,xxx miles. Who are you really trying to fool?

Close to 40k for a 7+ year old car... good luck..

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.