Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing a DIY exhaust setup after putting in Solo Axle backs earlier in the year. My plan is to delete the mid muffler and replace it with an X-pipe and later this year Kooks catted Shortys. I can't decide whether I want to keep the resonators or not. Own their own do they serve a purpose like reducing cabin drone and would removing them make the car too loud?

·
F1rehawk
663 Posts
Should have just waited and bought the Solo full Mach Shorty Catback with the connection to Kooks headers. Not of fan of hacking and cutting an exhaust. I like things clean.

You also have option to get what's missing from Solo and hook it up to your axlebacks.

Not sure how the car would sound, cant help you on that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have just waited and bought the Solo full Mach Shorty Catback with the connection to Kooks headers. Not of fan of hacking and cutting an exhaust. I like things clean.

You also have option to get what's missing from Solo and hook it up to your axlebacks.

Not sure how the car would sound, cant help you on that.
I had to do something to it. One of the mufflers were rusted completely and sounded like a fart box at high speeds (not to mention the horrible drone).

Getting the Solo completion kit is an option too.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If you only want to do it once, get a complete system and forget cutting it up.

I have a perfectly good "already bastardized" mid pipe with the solo axle backs that went with them. That said, it would be pick-up only. Absolutely NO way that I'm going to be able to ship the full section in an economical way. So if you aren't in NC.... well.... pretty much a non-starter. :D I could cut you a deal though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you only want to do it once, get a complete system and forget cutting it up.
I'm starting to lean that way. I'm looking at the Solo Street Race kit and then selling my axle backs to recover the cost.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I'm kinda in this boat too. It wasn't about "doing it right" from the get go, it was that this car is a DD that the wife has to be able to ride in, not be annoyed by a loud exhaust and spending a lot on exhaust wasn't in the game plan. I already have "LOUD" covered with the GTO and 3/4 LOUD with the V.

So I did the Solo Axle backs. Definitely better than the mufflers of death from the factory. The issue I have is up until 2,500 rpm, they sound REALLY good. Anything north of 2,500rpm (especially at shift points), and just before WOT, it almost seems as though it's "weezing".

Overall, I like the deep mellowness, but would like a little more "throatiness." As such, I am kinda looking at the same. Do I delete the mid-muffler and put an "X" pipe in? Do I delete the pup resonators?

I don't plan on doing any headers though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
IMHO: If you delete all the mufflers, it's obnoxiously loud, resonators or not. The "cheap" sound upgrade with all else stock is the axlebacks. To do a performance exhaust upgrade: replace it all, keeping some sort of mufflers in the back. The need for resonators will be subjective. Me, I'd have some.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Again though, I'm not completely satisfied with just the axlebacks.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah. I looked into an x-pipe after putting on axlebacks. Found a youtube clip and made a quick decision to skip it.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Do you have that specific clip available?

My issue with any sound clip is trying to sort out the quality of the clip itself before basing judgement.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Ok, I found a few that were decent quality. One actually had all stock except solo-axlebacks and then removed the muffler and did the x-pipe.

Not so much "louder", but changes the tone, which is what I want.

With that said, I just ordered a Jones SXP-3 (2.25" ID) X-Pipe from Summit. Was ready to pull the trigger on the Magnaflow, but for $21, this is $80 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
No. It was a few years back. It was probably a result of a search for "solo axleback".

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Another...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I definitely hear that extra sound.

The clip I remember had drive-bys to compare.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Well, I'll find out. :D

It'll be the Wife test on the weekend. If I get a "WHAT DID YOU DO..." we know it's substantially louder. :D

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I may never know what my wife knows about what I've done to my car. Sometimes there's something that is blatantly obvious to me that she never mentions. lol

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Thanks for your input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts