Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a rhythmic thumping noise from the rear when driving straight. Sounds seems to increase with speed (speeds up) and goes away when turning in either direction. Braking causes no change in sound. I did have some of the driver rear side apart when changing a wheel speed sensor this weekend. I planned on taking off the knuckle but ended up just disconnecting all the suspension to get room. I did have the axle nut off. I obviously tightened everything when resembling it. Going to take the wheel off and check it out today and wanted to get some feedback on what to check. I am worried maybe I disrupted the rear bearing when I attempted to take the knuckle off. I tried then realized I didn't need to take it off and put the axle nut back on. I want to add I didn't notice this right away. I drove it for a day with no noise and then the following day the noise started. Just seems odd turning either direction causes the sound to stop, I thought it was usually only turning in one direction?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Those few times I've been in cars that produced a thumping type of sound that would increase or decrease with speed going straight, was due to a tire. My mind says that the tire carcus plys were starting to separate from each other (but that's just a guess). New tires always eliminated that sound. .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires are only a year old and the noise started right after I had the rear knuckle half way taken apart. Also the sound goes away when going around a bend either left or right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I checked out what was going on....looks like I did disturb that wheel bearing....lots of play when I jack up the car and shake the wheel in all directions

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts