Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had my new tires mounted and road force balanced on my freshly powder-coated aftermarket rims (see sig pic of my rims prior to pc).

Here are the after RFB measurements:

LF: 10 lbs and 1 oz of weight
LR: 15 lbs and 1 oz of weight
RF: 2 lbs and no weight
RR: 6 lbs and no weight

How do these look to anyone with experience with this??

I hear anything under 20 is good :dunno:

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Those numbers look very good! I had issues with bad road force numbers from Hankooks (in the 30s and 40s) which caused bad vibrations, and was told that anything less than 10 is great, but hard to achieve consitently. But your numbers look solid.

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those numbers look very good! I had issues with bad road force numbers from Hankooks (in the 30s and 40s) which caused bad vibrations, and was told that anything less than 10 is great, but hard to achieve consitently. But your numbers look solid.
Thanks.

I've fought a losing battle against steering wheel shake in the 60-70 mph range for 4 years with both factory GY RSAs and Hankooks on aftermarket rims, including the complete GM TSB through my dealer, rotors, motor mounts, driveshaft, you name it.

I am hoping the new tires and a decent RFB finally helps.

Let you all know later today when I put them on and test it...

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They didn't give me any RFB results when they did mine. Is this something you had to ask for?
Having seen other members rave about RFB'g and talk about their printouts, I was definititely going to ask BUT this guy told me ahead of time before I even asked that he was going to give me the printout of the results so I really didn't have to ask.

What's funny is looking at my results, the left side of my car is "good" while the right side of my car is "great." LOL. I wonder how that will feel. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Where you had them done and how much the Honda dealer by me wanted almost 100, bucks to road force balance

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where you had them done and how much the Honda dealer by me wanted almost 100, bucks to road force balance
I found a place just a few miles from my house called Palma's. They are the regional authority on Rolls Royce, Bentley, older Lambo & Ferrari repairs. They have the Hunter machine. Most of the rest of the places that had the machine near me were delarships and I really didn't want to be kept in a black hole while a dealership was doing the job. I wanted to be closer to the action which Palma's allowed. The other non-dealer shops near me who had the Hunter machine were a couple Mr Tires but they told me they did not want to do the job for fear of risking scratching my new powder coating plus they were uncomfortable with the low rear sidewall.

The guys at Palma's are pros. From working on Lambo and Ferrari wheels/tires, they know their stuff. I had given them new valve stems to use with my TPMS sensors but they ended up replacing them with others because the ones I supplied wouldn't seat properly into the holes in the wheels. They were too stiff and wouldn't pop into place. I watched them try.

Anyway, they did a great job but I DID pay a little more than I wanted. I paid $200 but I know they struggled for an extra hour or two due to the valve stems.

The good news is: my steering wheel shake at 60-70 mph is now 90% gone! And that's well worth the $200 to finally eliminate 4 years of shaking.

·
Zdaddy
151 Posts
I always match and road force balance. Match balancing determines the run-out on the tire and wheel to match them in a close as possible rotating assembly. From there a proper road force is preformed. This extra step has wonderful results! My rear Continental Extreme DWS 275/35R19's final RF was 4 pounds total! All four of my tire were between 4-7 lbs.

This might be for everyone but I drive 60,000 miles per year...good driving!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
ironically enough my shakes seem to start when I put new tires, had alignment done, had 3 balances done including a road force. It sure did hurt paying $100 for a tire balance.

I wish you luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts