Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the G8 is not a brand new car, mine is almost 10 years old and a daily driver with 133K on the clock.. At this point will be seeking a trade but is impossible to get a brand new Pontiac, beside, love the car too much to part ways. Anyway, one of the signs is the roof liner. After so many cycles of Cold and Hot days, the foam padding is deteriorating to the point that is not holding the liner. Is sagging to the point that is touching my head. The correct way of fixing is to remove the whole thing, remove the old foam, glue a new one and reglue the old liner or replace the entire thing. I believe, one seat has to come off to remove the liner along with, the ABC pillars molding.

Anyway, as a quick fix, bought some Thumb Tacks in black and tacked the liner to prevent from falling all over. Not the pretiest aproach but nobody seems to noticed yet. I know, is a Band Aid but is better that having a liner falling all over. That will keep it in place until I get the time to fix it properly.

Registered
That sucks. Since the liner has to come down to replace or repair. I say get one of those LED light kits and add a star light look when you look up 馃檪

Registered
Lol. Welcome

Premium Member
Years ago, the one in the G8 started sagging and the going price, at that time, was at least $300. "Solution" was to purchase a package of mixed thumb tacks and use a few black ones to secure it in place. Most people don't notice the tacks and if they do have two options available... 1. Pay the entire cost to get it fixed. 2. Shut up and ride. Needless to say, am still waiting on a generous individual to choose option number one. :grin2:

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I can get it fixed for less than $100. Did it on a 01 Grand Am that I used to own. Also removed the seats and floor carpet. You will be surprised what few coins with a pressure washer and a paint spray can do.

Premium Member
Fixed for less than $100 is a pretty sweet deal and would go that route if the option was available. Needless to say, fixing the headliner didn't make this year's to-do list seeing as though it's primarily an aesthetic issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I know an ok liner is about $35 to $45 for the size of the roof. At the uphomstery shop, saw some Leather and Leatherette materials.... I wonder how will look and the cost to change the cloth for that type.

Also gives me an idea of perhaps buying on red few strips and use them in the cavities sides to match the seats motiff. That way, is fixed without removing the liner backing.

Might have to tinker with the idea.

Registered
Mine has been falling down since I bought the car last year, but have been putting off fixing it too. I also put mine back up with thumb tacks, but the thought did cross my mind that I am kind of making my own Takata airbag by doing so. Not sure where some of those tacks would end up if the side curtain airbag deployed..... But, hopefully that wont ever happen, or at least not until I fix the headliner and the tacks are gone!

The Mustang dude
FUnny...my headliner started sagging all over just about 2 weeks ago. Had some really hot days here in So.Cal lately. Parked the car, went to drive it a couple days later and the headliner was hanging. Pissed me all the way off. Taking it over to a local shop to get it repaired. I think I want to put some insulation panels in there while its out as well. Car is still pretty quiet, but Id like to make it nicer as things wear out and I replace them.

Registered
As an FYI for those of you talking about sound deadening, there isn't much sound that actually comes through the roof as you really don't have much noise above your car. But if you already have the headliner out, then I agree that putting some CLD tiles up can be beneficial just to stop any sort of resonance of the roof panel. I wouldn't do any MLV though.

Check out SoundDeadenerShowdown. It is an amazing site for any sort of sound deadening project. Here's their section about roofs. LINK

The Mustang dude
As an FYI for those of you talking about sound deadening, there isn't much sound that actually comes through the roof as you really don't have much noise above your car. But if you already have the headliner out, then I agree that putting some CLD tiles up can be beneficial just to stop any sort of resonance of the roof panel. I wouldn't do any MLV though.

Check out SoundDeadenerShowdown. It is an amazing site for any sort of sound deadening project. Here's their section about roofs. LINK
What about the hydrophobic foam? Good value or kind of a waste?

Registered
What about the hydrophobic foam? Good value or kind of a waste?
I've never used it, but I would trust what the SDS guides say.

Premium Member

Rain?

Registered

Registered
Had a local mobile headliner repair done yesterday at work. Look of material is the same but the new headliner is softer, not quite as coarse of a feel. Took them a little more then half an hour from pulling into the lot until finished. Cost $175. Kind of pricey but no hassles for me, worth it in my opinion.

Premium Member
Had a local mobile headliner repair done yesterday at work. Look of material is the same but the new headliner is softer, not quite as coarse of a feel. Took them a little more then half an hour from pulling into the lot until finished. Cost $175. Kind of pricey but no hassles for me, worth it in my opinion.
$175 is cheap. I've been quoted up to ~$300 for the black flat knit (OEM/stock).

I plan on going with black Alcantara.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts