Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
This must be an epidemic. My headliner also came down about 2 weeks ago. Like some of you guys, I bought some thumb tacks to hold it up off of my head. I found a local mobile headliner place here in the Baltimore area who is coming out this week (if it stops raining) to put in a new one. Charge is $200, which I think is reasonable. Best part is they will come to my office.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This must be an epidemic. My headliner also came down about 2 weeks ago. Like some of you guys, I bought some thumb tacks to hold it up off of my head. I found a local mobile headliner place here in the Baltimore area who is coming out this week (if it stops raining) to put in a new one. Charge is $200, which I think is reasonable. Best part is they will come to my office.

I think, the foam padding desintegrate to dust at about 10 years. I know how to fix it, but is time that I do not have. Might do it over the winter, the LCA bushings are getting worn, the car has a tendency to track grooves on the road. After 138000 miles, still have the original LCAs.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am assuming so.... the rubber might be weak and allows a bit of play or flexing. The tires are evenly worn, under a load, like a turn or acceleration, there is no vibration on the steering wheel. There is a slight vibration on straight and even roads. I have brand new LCAs and the upper arm to replace. Contemplating the idea on replacing the bushings for BMRs while at it.

Anyway, let us back on the thread of the roof liner ;)

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Back on the headliner topic, Mine is coming down in each upper corner on the windshield and then over the passenger side rear door. I found it tucked back in to the weatherstripping, but then a quick drive down the road and it was out again.

My question is, is there any type of glue that would work? Perhaps "moulding" tape (the double sided tape stuff for attaching body trim)?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used contact cement glue. remove some of the foam on the edge and use the contact cement to glue up the edge, What I have realized is that most of the foam degrades on the edges.

·
Registered
374 Posts
3M Super 77 spray adhesive from HD has worked well for me. Be sure to mask the area accordingly, then spray both the fabric and the foam, and let them get tacky for a couple of minutes prior to pressing them back together.

JAM

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would use the 3M 90 but it would be hard to mask the interior and use the spray can. An adhesive applied with a brush would be easier. I have redone the rear speaker cover with new fabric and foam and used the 3M 90 glue. Of course it was done with the speaker cover out of the car.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I used 3M 77 on a Grand Am that I fixed the liner. Worked pretty darn good. However, I removed the entire piece and in order to do it, had to remove one seat. I think, on the G8 is the same thing. Once is out, is way too easy to do, the hardest part is removing the old foam. Is a PITA, not all will come out and makes a mess, fuzz freaking everywhere. Had to use a wire brush. Anyway, once is all gone, is a matter of spray, stick, and let it dry.

For me is not an emergency since I installed the tacks, nobody noticed. I had to point that out.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
...For me is not an emergency since I installed the tacks, nobody noticed. I had to point that out.
Nobody has yet to notice or perchance simply revoked their right to free speech. At any rate, am satisfied with the thumb tacks which is all that really matters.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Where are you getting black thumbtacks? Or are you painting them once in? I can't say I've seen black ones. I also take it that these are flush heads, not the big plastic ones.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The G8 headliner is more challenging due to the fact it has a lot of peaks and valleys.
When you apply the glue you basically have one shot to get it right. The glue needs to be almost dry (tacky) for the foam to adhere. You will spray both the headliner and the foam backing to glue the material on to the headliner.
It needs to conform to the headliner without wrinkles or getting it stretched out too much.
The newer foam material you can buy these days is a better quality foam that will not break down like the older foam that is on the G8. If I was going to redo the headliner I would probably avoid the foam backed material and just get the material and glue that. The foam will eventually breakdown.
The difference between the 3M 77 and the 90 adhesive is the 90 withstands higher temperatures and has a stronger hold over time.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Where are you getting black thumbtacks? Or are you painting them once in? I can't say I've seen black ones. I also take it that these are flush heads, not the big plastic ones.
Found them on eBay. They're called upholstery nails and came in a set of black, white, and gold. They sit flush and one is pictured below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Even with a brush it looks like it would be tricky to get in there. It's not the whole headliner that's my issues, it's the little corners tucked up by the a-pillars on each side. Then over the passeger side rear door. That would probably be easy to do. I may try the tacks since they can be fairly hidden where it's coming down.

Do they make the 3M 77 or 3M 90 in a brushable format? Or is it spray only?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have not seen the 3M 77 or 90 in a can with a brush it's just a spray can.

Since your headliner is just starting to come off it might be worth to spend the 6$ for the small bottle of the Weldwood contact cement.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Where did you get this at? Menards/Home Depot/Lowes? Or is it available at WallyWorld?

I would prefer the contact CMNT route.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Weldwood contact cement is available at Home Depot, Lowes and most other hardware stores. Make sure you get contact cement and not rubber cement.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Using all of these adhesives are temporary band-aids.

The reason why the headliner material is falling is due to the foam disintegrating. It's that foam that holds the material to the actual headliner. That's why when it falls, you can still see the foam attached to the headliner.

For some reason, GM used this type of foam that disintegrates. I have a 12 year old North American GM vehicle that still has its headliner intact without any issue. My G8's is on its last leg...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts