Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go into this body shop today to see about getting my roof repainted. Looks hazy, guess the clear coat is burning through. Guy gives me an estimate to paint the roof,sail panels,quaters and hood for good measure. He then tells me since my front windshield is delaminating that I need a new windshield at 911 dollars. He also says I need to replace the rear window during the paint job cause as he said it's an encapsulated window... That's another 542 dollars. For a grand total cost of 4,283 dollars. This guy is an idiot.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Wow. Yea, Next place !

·
Registered
208 Posts
+1 on the roof wrap. What color? I'm on my second go around using black vinyl with good results.

·
every village has one
2,168 Posts
You must have sucker written on your face.

I'd consider vinyl wrap for just a roof section if trying to keep costs down... or trying to avoid a robbery like that place.
Before you walk into a repair/body shop, glance in the rear view mirror before you exit the car to see if you look stupid.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you sure the clear coat is faded? My car had a white haziness on the roof as well, it was from washing the car in direct hot sunlight. Clay/Compound Polish/Wax took care of it, looks like new. (I used Meguires Ultimate Compound)

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's what I'm doing. You can get a 4ft * 5 ft sheet of 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl for about $75 bucks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's panther black. My dad use to paint ages ago and I sent him a picture and he said it's clear coat failing. I would like to maybe do the SLP hood stripe and do the roof in black as well so it flows. It does have the white hazing every time I wash and wax it looks like brand new then it comes back about a day later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts