Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I attempted to do the Brembo front caliper swap and I got everything torn down on the driver side to the point of rotor removal. After prepping with PB blaster and banging for what seemed like eternity with a deadblow hammer, I could not get the rotor off. I ended up throwing in the towel, put everything back together again, and resolved to take it to a shop to have the swap done.

Today I had the thought that with the car securely on jack stands and lug nuts loosely retaining the rotor, I could use a floor jack to veerrryyy carefully lift the rotor (and suspension). I figure I can lift until the rust holding the rotor on the hub shears or the car just starts to lift from the floor jack on that side.

Does this have a chance of working or is there something that I'm missing that makes this a really bad idea?

Thanks,

George

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
my stock rotors were stuck on there pretty good. We used a hammer and just went to town on those jokers until they broke free. I am talking beat them until I couldn't swing a hammer any more lol

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
use a rubber mallet and some pb blaster. Spray pb blaster around the part and wait an hou or so and then take a rubber mallet

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
pb blaster and rubber mallet didn't work for me, but Hammer time did!:judge:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Dead blow is the way to go. Hit in between the studs and then from the front and rear, where your caliper use to be. Rotate and hit, rotate and hit. Has always worked for me. I guess if you are planning on throwing away the rotors you could use a large steel hammer, just know that they are junk afterwards.
Good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the same issue with mine too. Rotors were stuck on there good!!! I used PB blaster and then a pulley puller tool big enough to hook onto the edges of the rotor, used my old brake pad as a push point for the bolt and one loud pop and she broke free. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Like Yeti said my rears were extremely stuck, PB blaster wasnt helping, and a rubber mallet didnt do anything. I went with a small sledge and hit from the back side of the rotor (was replacing the rotors) and after a few good hits they broke free

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had the same issue with mine too. Rotors were stuck on there good!!! I used PB blaster and then a pulley puller tool big enough to hook onto the edges of the rotor, used my old brake pad as a push point for the bolt and one loud pop and she broke free. Hope this helps.
I did this also the first time I changed the rotors on my car. Got a 3 jaw puller from Auto Zone (#27078). Works great.

Put some anti seize on the center bore of the new rotor and also on the hub for easier removal the next time you take them off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Going to autozone later to see if i can rent one. I'll post pics of Brembos behind stock 18's if I'm successful.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Put the lug nuts back on so if you miss and hit one of the studs you won't damage the threads. Grasp hammer firmly and proceed to beat the living snot out of the rotor hat between the studs till it gives up. This is a test of wills, who will win out you or the rotor? So far I haven't found a rotor that can beat me. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! With a combination of the puller rented from Autozone and some goods whacks of the deadblow hammer, the first front rotor is off. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
just did brakes on a chevy today the rotors were stuck on a few nice wacks got the rotors right off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts