Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
09 Pontiac G8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V6 has a rough idle and just want opinons. I changed my plugs a few months ago due to this rough idle, thought maybe the plugs were bad. Upon getting to the number 5 plug/coil pack I discovered it was full of oil. Washed it down into the engine and cleaned it real well. I put the new plug in and let the engine burn the oil out. It ran fine for till now and the rough idle returned. Im assuming number 5 is full of oil again but what i need to know is why its filling up with oil. A seal? Maybe the coil pack needs replaced? Any thoughts are welcomed!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm going to guess that number 5 is on the side of the engine that does not have a breather in the valve cover.
Oil tends to gunk up on that side inside the valve cover, if you pull off the valve cover you'll probably faint with all the gunk that has pooled there.
You can drill a hole in the valve cover and add a breather or buy an up dated vale cover that alleviates this problem.

·
Registered
09 Pontiac G8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to guess that number 5 is on the side of the engine that does not have a breather in the valve cover.
Oil tends to gunk up on that side inside the valve cover, if you pull off the valve cover you'll probably faint with all the gunk that has pooled there.
You can drill a hole in the valve cover and add a breather or buy an up dated vale cover that alleviates this problem.
Damn ok. I may just have to do a quarterly cleaning of number 5 then until i buy a new cover.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I'm going to guess that number 5 is on the side of the engine that does not have a breather in the valve cover...
Correct. Passenger's cylinders are 1-3-5. Driver's cylinders are 2-4-6. The positive crankcase ventilation valve is on the driver's side. Need advice

·
Registered
09 Pontiac G8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct. Passenger's cylinders are 1-3-5. Driver's cylinders are 2-4-6. The positive crankcase ventilation valve is on the driver's side. Need advice
Thanks for that link man, definitely eye opening and will do more research. This is my second engine as my first one my passenger side cam shaft burnt up because of no oil was getting to it for some reason so just trying to avoid having to put another engine in It till i can save up for a better engine.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Are you the original owner of the vehicle? What brand and weight of oil is typically used? Was the camshaft problem due primarily to a consistently low oil level or poor oil circulation?

·
Registered
09 Pontiac G8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you the original owner of the vehicle? What brand and weight of oil is typically used? Was the camshaft problem due primarily to a consistently low oil level or poor oil circulation?
No one there was one owner before me, bought the car with 40k miles on it and this happened around 55k. The mechanic i took it too stated it was poor oil circulation, the right camshaft was lubricated well. I tried to go through warranty but since i do my oil changes myself i didnt know i had to keep the recipts to prove i did the maintenance so they didnt cover it. He couldn’t find out why the left was getting no oil. And i use Valvoline full synthetic 5w 30 now but with the original engine i used Interstate Full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Providing receipts is oftentimes a requirement when requesting warranty work especially after any significant accumulation of miles. The previous owner could have been relying on the oil life montitor to prompt oil changes which is a big no no. Always change the oil well before the oil life monitor dictates and keep the oil level on full.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been using Motor Flush with my oil changes for a couple of years. I just changed the plugs this summer (115,000 miles) and pulled the valve covers, due to the rash of posts here about the sludge that could be found. Mine were both clean, but I modified the right cover as discussed in the posts anyway. I've owned the car since 2010, 9000 miles. It's always had the oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles. I've used AC Delco filters and Royal Purple 5W-30 oil.

·
Registered
09 Pontiac G8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using Motor Flush with my oil changes for a couple of years. I just changed the plugs this summer (115,000 miles) and pulled the valve covers, due to the rash of posts here about the sludge that could be found. Mine were both clean, but I modified the right cover as discussed in the posts anyway. I've owned the car since 2010, 9000 miles. It's always had the oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles. I've used AC Delco filters and Royal Purple 5W-30 oil.
Ive never used Motor Flush. Is there any specific brand you recommend. Maybe ill introduce that into my next oil change.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Motor Medic is the brand name. It's available at AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts, as well as other parts stores. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!

·
Registered
09 Pontiac G8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Motor Medic is the brand name. It's available at AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts, as well as other parts stores. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!
Lol i will definitely make sure to read them twice to make sure I understand! Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Only engine cleaner I use is no longer made, but cans of it show up on eBay every now and again. Its called GM Goodwrench Crankcase Cleaner #1052350. Not too long ago, was fortunate to find a lot for sale at a very reasonable price.

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only engine flush I use is no longer made, but cans of it show up on eBay every now and again. Its called GM Goodwrench Crankcase Cleaner #1052350. Not too long ago, was fortunate to find a lot for sale at a very reasonable price.
I used that when it was readily available. I haven't seen in quite a while.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lol i will definitely make sure to read them twice to make sure I understand! Thanks man!

I say that because of a guy I work with. He had bought a work truck from a buy here/pay here lot. Someone told him to try Motor Flush to help quiet the valvetrain. He stopped at the parts store near the yard, bought a quart, added it to his engine, and drove home... about 75 miles. He made it home, but the truck wouldn't start the next day. His mechanic said it was the cleanest fried engine he'd ever seen.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I used that when it was readily available. I haven't seen in quite a while.
Awhile ago, purchased or was given a can from a friend and was thoroughly impressed with the results. Brought a few here and there on eBay and eventually found a lot of twelve cans. Made an offer and the seller accepted. Needless to say, the vast majority of them have been used since then and am currently looking for a dozen or so more.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
241 Posts
277,000 miles on my G8. Only used Mobil 1 from the day I took ownership with 7k on the odometer. I just replaced the motor & the heads on the old motor were nice & clean.
IMO, no need to use motor flush.
(Disclaimer: Most of my miles were highway miles)

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Suggested the crankcase cleaner since the engine was replaced and doing so would aid in giving it a fresh slate. Buying a new or low mileage vehicle new and performing routine oil changes with a good quality oil and oil filter essentially negates the cleaner. Obviously, the same would apply to a documented and well maintained vehicle with higher mileage.

Reactions: Ramblerman
1 - 18 of 18 Posts