Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 wheel in particular that I have some small rust looking spots on it. They dont seem to have a rough feel to them and seem like its just stained or something. Anybody have this happen to theirs? Any way of getting it to go away?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Maybe it's rail dust? Not sure if you can get that on wheels though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Which factory wheels out of curiosity?

Do you have a picture of the orange dots? Does the clear coat appear to be pealing on the wheel?

It does sound like rail dust. You should be able to remove it with a clay bar.

If it is retail dust just be sure to keep the wheels clean with a coat of protection on it (wax).

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
yea, search for "rail dust" ... it's a form of surface rust. It's not that your aluminum rims are actually rusting, but deposits/impurities that are on them are rusting.

When the rail car wheels pass over the rails the resulting filings that come from the wear and tear being magnetic would swirl up in the wind and adhere to the cars.

The result after a period of time was little orange rust specks in the cars paint.

Now days the specs are mostly caused by the filings from snow plow blades in snow country and by brake filings etc on the roads.

These specs are harmless if removed in the spring etc.

The best way to remove them is using a clay bar. The bar will pull them from the paint. If left to long there is acid washes that will remove them but thats a last resort. ( unless your a low end detailer and don't want to spend the time at the expense of the paint. )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great info. I just bought the car last month and it was previously on there so I'm worried that it has been there for a while but hopefully the clay bar will take car of it.

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Try Adams new Deep Wheel Cleaner or Dipyourcar's new Brake Dust Pro. Follow up with a clay bar.
Clay bar at least!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Compound. It will be just as good as clay bar (same results) I'm not sure if the length of time plays a roll ,I was never told it made a difference. But what I was always taught at the detail business I worked at was that rail dust a.k.a. industrial fallout will adhere to the paint and drive itself in and after time if not taken care of will turn to rust where it starts to look bad . I used to give the cars we got in with what was called an a.b.c. wash. It was a acid bath ,neutralizer and car wash to drive the practicals out . The analogy I was given when it came to using clay bar and or compound is to try and imagine a nail driven into a piece of wood . If you shave the nail head off you still have the remaining nail still in the board but you just can't see it . Same with rail dust . You take the head off but its still in the paint . If its a few specs. Just rub it out with polish or something a little more coarse (compound) . Clay bar does make the claim on its package that it removes rail dust but if what I was taught was true ,then that is false . The detail shop I worked for has been around for over thirty years ,I'd assume their management is on their game so never really questioned it . Rub a little harder with the clay bar and it should disappear. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts