Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Solo performance. Mach shorty system. Under the car. ______ steel. We all know how rust happens.
T409 piping rusts just like the original equipment stainless steel. T409 is a wonderful exhaust grade stainless steel that lasts 15 years plus. An inherent quality of anyone's T409 tube is that it gets a layer of surface rust over time. Almost all original equipment manufacturers stainless steel is T409 and it also gets a layer of rust. There's nothing you can do to prevent it. Unlike aluminized, or cold roll tube the T409 rust only stays on the surface. It doesn't penetrate and rust through like aluminized or cold roll. Our muffler and tips are T304. If you polish the T304 3-4 times per year they will stay shiny. If you neglect the T304 and it gets a few surface rust spots they are easily removed with a smooth steel wool pad rubbing ever so lightly not the scratch the T304. I hope this helps.

·
'Mod'erator
4,887 Posts
Oh man. I have had my system over a year and it looks good. No visible rust anywhere. then again I live in cali where my car doesn't sit in feet of snow or deal with salt on roads and what not.

·
Official Glass Tech
641 Posts
i dont understand, you went for the cheaper 409, without doing any research? if you wanted a pretty system, you should have gotten the 304 and had it coated with whatever chemical they use

·
Registered
105 Posts
i dont understand, you went for the cheaper 409, without doing any research? if you wanted a pretty system, you should have gotten the 304 and had it coated with whatever chemical they use
Agreed. It is T409, that is normal.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

"a few surface rust spots" ?
Yep!

Something that gets hot (exhaust) and will be exposed to rain or snow or salt and other road grime will somewhat tarnish on the surface.

Had you kept your stock exhaust system on teh car, by now it would have looked similar, given your driving pattern.

It's all just on the surface. Stainless Steel does not rust through for many many many years.

If you're that paranoid about how your pipes look underneith your car where no one can actually see, why not get some "steel wool" and polish it yourself? You'll quickly see two things from this exercise:

1. It surely is just surface tarnishing, and some elbow-grease polishing will return it to luster, until the next month when you need to repeat the process again! :slap: Wait until the "drive by wire" aluminum throttle body starts to oxidize on your car, are you gonna complain to GM that it's "tarnishing" when the elements start to react with the aluminum there?
  2. The "important parts" -- i.e., the tips, are more expensive T304 stainless which stays shiny but is more costly to produce. The tips are all most people see. These are very easy to polish and keep clean (no steel wool here; I personally use "NeverDull" and the results are spectacular, on the tips!)
Are you one of those people at car shows that jacks up half of the car lengthwise and puts huge mirrors under it? If so, why are you driving the car in anything other than 100% sunshine and dry weather? :bs:

Sorry if this is taken harshly, but do you have an actual problem (i.e., hole through the exhaust system, break in one of the welds, unexplained black carbon leaking out from one of the connections?) .... or are you just trying to learn how exhaust systems "weather" over time?

Mine looks similar, but honestly, I'm not worried. I have no leaks, holes, or broken welds in my setup. If I ever do, I'll have it taken care of. Until then, nothing to worry about, and yes, it's "Just minor surface oxidation" on the stainless T409 exhaust system.

No worries!! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not really complaing at all. The exhaust does what it's supposed to do and sounds good doing it. It's just kind of dissapointing to spend all that money on an exhaust system that's been on less than a year and it looks like that. My DT headers that everyone said would rust still look brand new and they've been on just as long. Again, not complaining just probably letting others know that if they are the type that cares about how their exhaust looks then this isn't the right system for you.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Agreed. Corsa is twice as expensive, and they use T304. IMHO The SOLO sound is substantially better than Corsa, but everyone has different tastes and needs. Perhaps had you researched beforehand the differences between different manufacturer's exhaust systems, you could have used that knowledge to make a better buying decision to fit your specific needs of "undercar shine". I chose to support a customer-service proven vendor, SOLO, instead of one that seems to not care (do a search for "Corsa limp mode")

I would much rather have a fully functional exhaust that has some surface rust on the non-visible areas under the car than one that on some G8's have many documented situations of crippling the owner's car whenever it rains! DOH!! :slap:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since the topic isn't that old, out of curiosity couldn't you treat the exhaust with a high heat Rust-Oleum product to protect against the surface rust.. if you were worried about it?

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
There's honestly no need...it would have to hold up to high temperatures....it's only surface rust and comes off so easily. If it's a daily driver, you're always going to have some surface rust form...it does not, in any way, affect the longevity or performance of the stainless steel.

·
You've got mail, YAAAAY!
1,951 Posts
I got mine used, and they look brand new. The joys of living in salt free snow free Texas I suppose.

·
TeRm1n8D
846 Posts
I use Tarnex. The same stuff that I polish my fine silver with to keep my tips and exposed parts of the exhaust clean. Works well. Look at the before and after.

Before:
DSCN1259.jpg

After:

DSCN1287.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts