Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I went to look under my car to see about messing around with the washer mod; I look under to see my flanges are rusted in both sides and deteriorating. What is there to do to fix this? It's a stock V6 exhaust.

I haven't taken them apart yet so idk how the gasket is but I imagine its probably shot. I plan on checking during the daytime today. If the gasket is done for what would be best to replace it with?

I'm also guessing none of this is covered under warranty is it..

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nature of the beast with higher mileage and DD'ing.

If you take them apart, the gasket will fall apart and need replacing. Other than that, it is just surface rust. You might have to/want to replace the bolts/nuts with new.

·
Registered
141 Posts
OEM gaskets, but they are expensive. For some silly reason they import Australian2.25" gaskets, even though the US ones from a Malibu or *insert GM econobox here* that are 2.25" are functionally the same. I'm not sure on the P/N for our OEM gaskets (Australian) or the OEM gaskets (USA) that can be had at the same parts counter, though I'm sure someone here does.

Alternatively the Fel-Pro or just about any other aftermarket gasket of 2.25" diameter will work without fault.

Rust is normal, though our piping is stainless (T409 if I remember correctly) the flanges are mild steel. Living in a humid, moist or salty environment will advance corrosion of these components.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've swapped out axle backs a few times. Both times I used high temp RTV sealant and re-used the stock gasket. No problems... Just be sure to scrape away the old crap as best you can with a putty knife and then use a green abrasive pad (you know the kind) to get the rest of it off. Doesn't have to be spotless, just the bigger stuff.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was taking mine off and on constantly while fabbing up the rear section. I don't even use a gasket anymore, just high temp RTV. It's kind of a pain to scrape off every time, but it hasn't leaked yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
645 Posts
Interesting about the high temp sealant because after about a 1k miles, the stock gaskets are burned on and pretty much crumble when unbolting the flanges. I might try that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Interesting about the high temp sealant because after about a 1k miles, the stock gaskets are burned on and pretty much crumble when unbolting the flanges. I might try that.
Mine crumbled with less than 1k. They didn't leak before I took it apart; I think the separation is what rips it and I wasn't paying $14 every time for that to happen..
Btw, you're practically right around the corner from me. I'm surprised I haven't seen you around town.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts