Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I thought GM would have found a protective coating for there metal fuel lines. Not. I happen to be under my G8 performing a service and low and behold I found metal fuel lines to the fuel tank under an plastic cover rusty crusty almost through. I believe they would have started leaking any minute. I know plastic and stainless is the new way because of the alcohol's attraction to water. But I highly recommend everybody check in front of the passenger rear wheel for corrosion on the lines, under an plastic cover going into the fuel tank. For safety sakes at least. If anyone has done some upgrades to the lines specifically maybe to all plastic or stainless I would be interested. I know the tank has special GM ends where the plastic lines meet the metal lines. I don't know if that causes some difficulty?

·
G8BRU
17 Posts
They fuel lines require the engine to come out to replace them unless your have very special tools and small hands to remove the 4 rivets and 2 bolts behind the engine holding the cover in place for those lines. try vintage parts inc they had the lines instock for like 55 bucks shipped. Thats were I got mine. Theres one line for fuel and one line for vapor purge.
Your best bet is to have the purge valve turned off in the tune and just run a new rubber line or stainless line for the fuel and just cut out the old lines. I had my engine out so i replaced mine too since i live in Cleveland Ohio they were pretty bad shape.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible to adapt the existing lines by cutting and adapting either flares or compression fittings from Aeroquip, Earls. In the past compression fittings were not of the calibre that they could be installed, and not trusted. Have they improved? I know the fuel pressure for fuel injection is higher than typical. Are stubs available to adapt to the special fittings from the tank? Is it possible to splice plastic lines in with special fittings or tools? Anyone familiar with this I would appreciate your knowledge and advice? Everyone doesn't always have all the funds to do it all new and I was wondering what the budget choices may be? Maybe a GM vehicle with like ends plastic lines that could be reshaped. Just Fishing for Ideas. For now I de rusted the lines and soaked them with clear. I would like to do something more permanent within budget.

·
G8BRU
17 Posts
What you could do instead of cutting and flaring the lines. buy the gm 3/8ths in quick disconnect tool for fuel lines. and disconnect the lines at bottom front passenger side of the tank, and at the back of the engine on the drivers side youll find the evap line and fuel line. What i would do from there is find a 3/8ths in male ( 3/8" SAE Quick Disconnect Male Push On) and after you use those connections just route rubber or stainless lines (youll need stainless male quick connects then if you go metal instead of plastic and rubber lines.) rubber lines will clamp right on to those connectors, and just becareful to not route rubber line near the exhaust.

You could also just clamp a fuel hose to the fuel tank connection and then fuel rail connection, and not even have to worry about and quick connects. this is the easiest and most cheap option, although not perfect it will work as high end rubber fuel line will hold that pressure just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
G8Bru
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing