Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my mid muffler and resonators removed and a Magnaflow x pipe installed, so I bought the pipe online about a week ago and called a local shop today. They said they would have to take a look before they could make a decision on cost, no phone quote. So I take it in, its on the lift for about fifteen minutes when the guy says, "Three hour job, $350." :eek2: Call me crazy, but I think that's insanely high for a delete and weld, especially when I've seen other members on here have had theirs done for around $100. And this was not a chain, its a small shop, as most on here have recommended for their pipe installs. So can anyone point me somewhere with a much more reasonable install price? New Jersey preferred, but New York state (not city) and other close areas will work too. Help!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Ha! Yea I'd go somewhere else. Thats crazy. I'm in western new york state , so no help. Good luck finding someone.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah thats robbery, if you were in the GTA Zorro's on Stanfield Rd in Mississauga. With exchange may be worth the drive.
Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ridiculous. i paid 160 and it took less than an hour and that price was including the exhaust shops provided X pipe.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ams autowerks will do it for much less. Give them a ring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I went to about 2 shops wanting a quote and both quoted me about $300 without the x-pipe and extra piping. Went to a different shop and had it done in about 30 min for ~$60 including extra piping needed, all I provided was the x-pipe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I knew I wasn't nuts. I have no doubt they would do good work, but at that price they must be mad. Thanks for the suggestion 2lazy, I'll check them out and hopefully I'll keep you guys posted. Gonna keep checking around the area, but if nothing works out here a road trip might be in order! OhioG8GT I've made that drive before, where did you get yours done? BAS G8 a trip up to Canada might be worth it to check out a meet, there doesn't seem to be much G8 activity around here...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got an even funnier joke today: between $700 to $900. What are these people smoking?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got an even funnier joke today: between $700 to $900. What are these people smoking?
Either they are not quite understanding you, or they are smoking some good stuff :D. And I ended up getting mine done like 10min from my house at this medium sized muffler shop. He asked me if I want the resonators cut and replaced with ss pipe also, but I told him I wasn't sure on how loud it will be. I'm kinda thinking about getting those cut out, too.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I would of started laughing at the guy right then and there.

Also. Out of curiosity. You aren't wearing a shirt that says im a dumb ass or born yesterday are you? Cause that may be the problem : )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would of started laughing at the guy right then and there.
Also. Out of curiosity. You aren't wearing a shirt that says im a dumb ass or born yesterday are you? Cause that may be the problem : )
I was too shocked to laugh at the time! And unless someone wrote on my shirts with Acme brand disappearing reappearing ink, I don't think so! :laugh: The search will continue this week...

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW...That's crazy. I think I paid $50 to weld it in.
Took them maybe 45 mins.
That's what I keep expecting to hear, but no luck so far. Where did you take yours, small shop?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Shot you a pm op. Not sure if you saw it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
WHAT!? You can pick up an entire Solo Cat-back for that money! I think the problem with some of these shops is that they may just not want to do certain types of work so they quote ridiculous prices... idk. I thought my highest quote of $170 was high... found a good shop near my work that welded in my supplied X with some extra piping from them for $75.

Keep hunting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got my x pipe installed! Ended up using a pipe that was already at the shop instead of the Magnaflow. Cost a little more than I wanted, but I had some extra spending money this week...

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
What X-PIPE are you using and if you have the part number,what axle back mufflers are you using,are you happy with the sound

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That pipe was already there in the shop, custom, so no part number, it just happened to be a perfect fit. I was going to use a Magnaflow, but I went with that one. I'm using the stock muffs, I haven't heard any aftermarket mufflers that I like. I like the sound, I was looking for just a little more exhaust note, nothing over the top. If you give me a couple days I can prob get some clips up for you if you like...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts