Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took in my g8 today to get the windshield replaced after a failed chip repair. Everything seemed perfect until I started driving down the road. All of a sudden I noticed that the wipers seemed to be much more... inlet than normal, and I could see the edge of the hood that is usually blocked by the driver side wiper.

Then the worst symptom appeared. As I started hitting bumps in the road an extremely noticeable squeaky rattle was now apparent.... I dealt with it all the way home, and immediately started investigating (the sound was like nails on chalkboard to me).

After a few seconds of looking around, I realized that the windshield had been somehow mounted more inlet... so much so that the glass is now rubbing on the plastic trim at the edge of the dash! :banghead:

How can this be possible?????? is there some molding or seal strip missing between the trim and windshield? what could they have done or missed for this to happen??

I need your help! Can someone let me know what they did wrong so I can tell them when I take it back in the morning??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Call safelite. Tell them u are not happy with the install. I would tell them exactly what you have just said here. The windshield wiper is no major problem.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Took them 3 tries to get Trigger back to normal. The good thing about Safelite, they will make it right.

There is no strip between the glass and vehicle. They apply a strip of adhesive on the glass, then set it on the vehicle. If they apply too much, it will squeeze out on the sides and create a big mess.

For the first 24 hours, you shouldn't wash your car and should take it easy on the corners/inclined driveways.

·
Registered
508 Posts
What those guys said. I have always been satisfied with them. They actually replaced my windshield about 3 weeks ago with no issues. Did they use that super hi-tech arm equipment that they have. Went on perfect.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Also for I think around 4-5hrs don't slam your doors shut. It can ruin the whole install. It was some owner of a company who came out directly told me that when i got my windshield replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealership had a company replace my windshield a couple weeks ago with exact same result. Took it back and they replaced it with a gm one. The company they used told them that the windshield that they use for the g8 is a little off... Just a little huh. At least the dealership made it right the second time which is about par for them. That squeeking is enough to drive you nuts.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
So I took in my g8 today to get the windshield replaced after a failed chip repair. Everything seemed perfect until I started driving down the road. All of a sudden I noticed that the wipers seemed to be much more... inlet than normal, and I could see the edge of the hood that is usually blocked by the driver side wiper.

Then the worst symptom appeared. As I started hitting bumps in the road an extremely noticeable squeaky rattle was now apparent.... I dealt with it all the way home, and immediately started investigating (the sound was like nails on chalkboard to me).

After a few seconds of looking around, I realized that the windshield had been somehow mounted more inlet... so much so that the glass is now rubbing on the plastic trim at the edge of the dash! :banghead:

How can this be possible?????? is there some molding or seal strip missing between the trim and windshield? what could they have done or missed for this to happen??

I need your help! Can someone let me know what they did wrong so I can tell them when I take it back in the morning??
Hello,

Sorry to hear about the experiences. Please let us know if this situation gets addressed or not. Feel free to message us if you feel assistance is needed.

Regards,

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
GM can assist in a faulty replacement performed by Safelite AutoGlass?
Conventional thinking says that the company who did not provide the service he paid for should perform the original contracted repair correctly without charging him again for it.
If they refuse or can't hold up their end of the contract Phil24 could then seek other avenues of recourse.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
First off lol to srg963 ,nice. Second agree with everyone else and have safelite make it right and did they use the noise canceling glass that comes stock with our cars? I've seen members post where they had normal glass put in and the sound difference in the cabin was noticable. Last of all,yea you don't want to slam the doors. If you crack your Windows before you close your door that will help. The air pressure in the cabin expands when you close your door ,especially hard and pushes on the glass possibly loosening the seal of the window. I would have called safelite as soon as I got home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They got it fixed!

At first they had "no idea" what I was talking about, but after showing them that the glass was so low that it was rubbing on the trim, they agreed to re-install the glass.

They ended up finding out that not only did they need to put a "foam dam" as they called it when they installed it, but also that they installed it crooked and the left side was lower than the right.

The manager, and assistant manager apologized and re-installed the window personally.

They did make it right, just wish they did it right the first time, as it made for a week of very irritating driving with that squeaking noise lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.