Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again people. My last post was me complaining about a white "bucktoothed" g8 gt which i was prepared to purchase. I have since decided not to get it. I did buy a g8 though. Red g8 gt with moderately low mileage on it. The one issue the car had was a sagging headliner.... I did some research on how to remove our headliners and i feel as if the previous owner removed it improperly and popped the retaining clips. i have a sunroof and the area around the sunroof isnt necessarily flush. kinda sags on the back side of the sunroof. moreover the whole light fixture in the back is sagging enough that i can push it up and see that the fabric is overstretched because of this. Also the airbag cover clip on the passenger side front pillar is missing. if im correct in how i assessed the tutorials of removal, this is a spot that you need to remove to get that panel off and eventually the liner. has anyone dealt with a similar sag and was it simple to fix or did you need to buy a new $800 liner?!?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
My dealer broke my headliner while replacing my 3rd brake light. It took 3 mos for a new one to get hear from down under.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fahk. i hope my headliner is repairable. please tell me they are replacing it without charging you! that would be absolute bs if they did.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
It was all their fault. They paid for everything. Including a loaner car for 2 days.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My entire headliner is sagging (not just the fabric but the board also) but it just seems like the double sided tape lost its adhesion. It mostly just bounces now

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so update on my headliner. went to an all g8 show at mongillo motors in Connecticut and realized the issue. my sunroof isn't a factory option roof. it was a custom job. hence the imperfections. i have no clue why someone would want to subject a car like this and compromise its rigidity. i just hope it was done well enough that it doesn't really alter its performance characteristics. my sags are probably due to an inferior material or adhesive used. In turn i will be modifying this headliner material with either a leather look fabric thats rather durable or a leather look vinyl carbon fiber. Wish me luck. i may start on it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Material purchased. Markdown from 9.99 to 6.99 a square yard on sale at jo-ann fabrics. Instead of the leather look I'm choosing to go with a quilted fabric that has a diamond stitch pattern. Looks nice and resembles the quilting in a typical bomber jacket. Had the choice of solid colors but the red looked too loud and any other color than black seemed foolish to use. This weekend I will be tackling the rear deck and the roof liner. Gonna be doing the sound deadening at the same time too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been craaazy busy at work and haven't done anything yet haha. My Saturdays have become valuable sleep/ recharge time. I did make sure to load up on foam blocks to add as spacers in the weird gaps my headliner has. Its an aftermarket part that the previous owner had installed. Tbh I kinda wish they didn't do it. The fact that it sags and isn't fully smooth bugs me. I will be gluing the cut foam blocks into spots where there are visible gaps that look ugly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts