1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
753 Posts
I emailed him just for kicks saying "You do realize that the front end is for a G8 GT and not a GXP which could lead to some suspicion"

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm glad to see that it's up to 23K! I have a salvage title on mine with 19K miles and I wondered what the market would be for a car with salvage title. Of course mine is a true GT not a GXP.

Not that I plan to sell it!

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Salvage Title cars are a bit tricky and will never sell for what a non-Salvage Title car will. Many financials (including the bank I work for) will refuse to finance any vehicle that has a Salvage Title. That relegates these cars to cash buyers only, which limits their market. I'm sure there are some Salvage Title vehicles that are just as nice after appropriate repair as they were when built, unfortunately the vast majority aren't, and that has give all of them a bit of a stigma. A buddy of mine has a Salvage Title GTO, which he got for a good price. The car looked great until you dug below the surface. Whoever "fixed" the car only did enough to make it look pretty outside. Underneath there was alot of shoddy/sloppy repair work, which caused issues down the road. Fortunately/unfortunately the car was in an accident where all the shoddy work got banged up, and he got it repaired professionally.

The car referenced in the OP was purchased by a member on this board who plans to replace the bumper cover and fix the other questionable repair work as well. I think that's a good thing!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Salvage Title cars are a bit tricky and will never sell for what a non-Salvage Title car will. Many financials (including the bank I work for) will refuse to finance any vehicle that has a Salvage Title. That relegates these cars to cash buyers only, which limits their market. I'm sure there are some Salvage Title vehicles that are just as nice after appropriate repair as they were when built, unfortunately the vast majority aren't, and that has give all of them a bit of a stigma. A buddy of mine has a Salvage Title GTO, which he got for a good price. The car looked great until you dug below the surface. Whoever "fixed" the car only did enough to make it look pretty outside. Underneath there was alot of shoddy/sloppy repair work, which caused issues down the road. Fortunately/unfortunately the car was in an accident where all the shoddy work got banged up, and he got it repaired professionally.

The car referenced in the OP was purchased by a member on this board who plans to replace the bumper cover and fix the other questionable repair work as well. I think that's a good thing!
Yea I bought mine and am repairing it myself for myself. I'm doing it right. No cutting corners. I don't plan to resell it but I just thought it was good to see that some people were willing to spend quite a bit on a repaired salvage title car.

Mine is a 2009 GT with 19K miles and I should have it bought and repaired for under 15K

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just purchased our 1st salvage title. 09 get, from a reputable rebuilder near us. Salvage insure for 75% & I hve heard this is a good rule ...course all the above is accurate-quality, done right, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
If that is a real GXP, then why is the date 12/08

This is a real GXP, which I was able to authenticate by VIN. All 2009 G8 GXPs were built between August 6, 2008 and February 11, 2009. That's whay the date is 12/08. This car was actually built on December 8, 2008. Remember that most model years of cars start production the previous calendar year.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
hahha, i love your sig. picture. kid cleaning your wheels, yet no hood or bumper on the g8 LOL. sorry its just funny... good luck on fixing it up, shouldnt be too hard. you will love the car.

Yea I bought mine and am repairing it myself for myself. I'm doing it right. No cutting corners. I don't plan to resell it but I just thought it was good to see that some people were willing to spend quite a bit on a repaired salvage title car.

Mine is a 2009 GT with 19K miles and I should have it bought and repaired for under 15K

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I still like the GT front better, I'd consider it an upgrade :).

·
2010 SSV-Special Edition
39 Posts
Wow, no motor $5000, transmission $1200, pedals $600, fuel managment system $500. Then it needs a front VY guard $700, hood $1200. Suspension???

And you get to pay for the car, thanks but no thanks!

lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm a fan of the ft bumper also.... as long as you know what your looking for salvage titles are nice if you can do the work

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
17 Participants
BODYSHOPG8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing