Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im kind of in the same situation, I really wouldn't mind finding a G8GT belowe 20 grand but worried about the tranny holding up with higher miles. The engine is tough but haven't heard great things about these auto trannys unless there tuned.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I think that's a great deal. Don't be scared with high mileage on these cars. There are quite a few over 100k with no issues, and one guy is over 250k. If you can get service records that would help out. Try to talk them down a bit, but seems like a good deal to me. If I had the cash I'd buy it.

The transmissions are pretty strong in these cars, just check to see if the rear main seal is leaking. Also I noticed in the car fax the lower control arms were replaced at 31k so that's a good sign and there was a module replaced at 80k. I don't think you will have issues on this one. Also a 1 owner and looks stock.

·
Addict
222 Posts
I think that's a great deal. Don't be scared with high mileage on these cars. There are quite a few over 100k with no issues, and one guy is over 250k. If you can get service records that would help out. Try to talk them down a bit, but seems like a good deal to me. If I had the cash I'd buy it.

The transmissions are pretty strong in these cars, just check to see if the rear main seal is leaking. Also I noticed in the car fax the lower control arms were replaced at 31k so that's a good sign and there was a module replaced at 80k. I don't think you will have issues on this one. Also a 1 owner and looks stock.

free car fax report shows the LCAs were replaced at 31k and the front license place mount was installed/replaced. also shows new air filter at 44k. It shows at 55k 2 tires were replaced so maybe it needs tires? Only 1 listing for oil and filter, but possible it was done previously at non dealers or by the previous owner. seems like a good price and a fairly clean car. pics seem to suggest it could use a once over inside but looks good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are lower mileage vehicles under $20k (or around) out there, if the high mileage scares you. Just have to look for the right deal. Picked up a 54k mile GT Slate blue for $19,500. Was listed a bit higher at the dealer, but needed new tires so got it down to $19,500. Tires are about $850 for a good year all season(I don't need a summer tire for a daily driver). But as was said before, GM produces a pretty strong drive train these days. As a matter of fact I just sold my suburban with over 180k on the odometer. Never had a transmission repair or major engine issue. Still pulled my boat like a champ. So if cared for a high mileage vehicle can be a great way to save so $$ if it was cared for properly. Good luck in your search. Don't settle, get what you are looking for. I found the search for the right one part of the fun. Ironically I was looking for a sport red or charcoal car, and avoided looking at a few because they were slate blue. Then one day I looked at a slate blue one and knew I had to have it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the options and color are getting to me. I listed my car for sale, and am scheduling to sell it as early as this week!!

I tried calling today, but they were closed for the holidays. Hopefully I will have better luck Wednesday!

·
Registered
209 Posts
i'd rather have a well cared for higher mileage car then a low mileage neglected one.. these cars are fairly stout, seems like some suspension parts may be in need of freshening (if they haven't been done already) other than that keep an eye on those DOD lifters... best wishes..

·
Registered
105 Posts
I picked up an 08 GT fully loaded minus the sunroof with 82k miles for $14,500 about 8 weeks ago. I wouldn't worry too much about it if the car has a clean title and looks to be taken care of. As mentioned, service records are a plus. 84k miles is just getting broken in :) I say go for it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
That seems like a good deal. You don't see many SBM on the road! Parts for G8's are readily available. You'll most likely join a local G8 car club and start modding the car anyway. First it's a CAI, tune, wheels, and tires. Then DOD delete, stall, headers, catback system and diff. After that a supercharger and the list grows. The car that started at 16k, now cost you over 40 grand. LOL! Your wallet is the only limiting factor!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im hoping this one will stay around for another couple of days...I already have the loan, just waiting on the sale of my car. I have had a lot of interest, but cash is king

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hope you get it.

Bought a new Cruze earlier this year, but if I would of found this then I wouldn't of minded having TWO Stryker G8s in my driveway. Fuel would have sucked, since May I've put 500 gallons gas (43.8mpg) and at 22k. If I drove less maybe I would of looked for another g8. Told my wife about what they're offering and she said "DAMN" that would of been awesome.*

I'm shooting to make 200k on ours, Chevy small blocks for the "most" are bulitt proof, and parts are realitively inexpensive and somewhat easy to fix. Worked on Euro cars and know of others who had their euro rides fixed and the prices are outragous. For example: I have seen BMW 7 serious 745 or 750L for sale as a 2007 or 2008 that go for $15k with less mileage than this one, but I will tell you this everypart cost 10 times or more than any similar GM part. We (G8 owners) got a lot of car for a little money.

Watch this video disusses about Cheap 12 cylinder cars on DRIVE with Matt Farah, it pretty entertaining discussion.

* My wife is awesome, she drives our G8 like Stink.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Get the Stryker Blue, you won't regret it. Rarest color out there,loks the best.(kinda biased)...

·
Horse and Car Aholic
35 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
GTP 4this
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing