Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I found the Facebook page, after I started to investigate. Wish I had Google the ph# & email address prior to sending the money.

Mine wasn't bad either and a first after years of buying/selling on multiple forums. Thank goodness I wasn't buying rims or something expensive.

I can't say for certain if that facebook page is linked to these people, just same ph # used and only found due to a Google search.

·
Pontiac Crazy
517 Posts
I'll just give the usual spiel: Pay with PayPal Goods and Services unless you meet in person. If they refuse or give an excuse, find your parts elsewhere. 99% of the time I see someone get scammed, that one piece of advice would prevent it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Over the last few days, I found out it was a scam within a few days because he stated that he couldn’t ship the item because his dad died, and he requested more money for shipping in which I knew right then it was a scam.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
How does the purported death of a family member equate to higher shipping fees as if it's an additional surcharge or inquiry asked by the counter clerk.

Reactions: GXP25

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How does the purported death of a family member equate to higher shipping fees as if it's an additional surcharge or inquiry asked by the counter clerk.
Great question, I was sent the same text message.

I'm more curious about how this member Joe12? Why has the forum Moderator not killed that account? Yes, they can create a new account under a different name, but they should be able to see the IP address and flag it. Sad to see they are still getting others off this site after it's been flagged.

·
Pontiac Crazy
517 Posts
Great question, I was sent the same text message.

I'm more curious about how this member Joe12? Why has the forum Moderator not killed that account? Yes, they can create a new account under a different name, but they should be able to see the IP address and flag it. Sad to see they are still getting others off this site after it's been flagged.
IP addresses are a terrible way to identify duplicate accounts (especially IPv4). Multiple users could share an IP at something like a college dorm and I can change my IP with a few clicks using a VPN.

Reactions: Slizzo and GXP25

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
There's a scam making it's round on the forum where the same person(s) has posted in multiple threads using a variety of email addresses. It's an obvious and poorly orchestrated scam with several red flags. 1. They contact you unsolicited via messaging without publicly posting on the wanted to buy thread. 2. They're serving as an intermediary connecting people to each other looking to purchase and sell parts 3. IF pictures were provided, it's very likely they were stock photographs 4. They requested money be sent via PayPal friends and family. Never send money as such unless it is indeed a verified friend and/or family member. Furthermore, if the supposed seller insist using this method in order to avoid fees and retain a lower price then walk. All they have to do is accept a payment through goods and services and factor the fees into the final cost. Saving a few dollars is certainly not worth the risk. Take it for what's worth. [/QUOTE]

21 - 29 of 29 Posts