Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any recommendations on what to do to clean the lcd display in the center console? Mine has scratches from cleaning (go figure) from a octopus car was years ago.
Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Scratches are ALL removed the same exact way. BUFFING. Just as a jeweler would remove scratches from the face of your watch, buffing removes scratches from everything. What you have to do is figure out what combination you need to get the job done. I would start with a light polish by hand and if that doesn't work, start moving up with a more aggressive combination (like a really light polish and a machine). I've used a Dremel tool with a buffing wheel and polish ON A LOW SPEED to fix exactly what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Scratches are ALL removed the same exact way. BUFFING. Just as a jeweler would remove scratches from the face of your watch, buffing removes scratches from everything. What you have to do is figure out what combination you need to get the job done. I would start with a light polish by hand and if that doesn't work, start moving up with a more aggressive combination (like a really light polish and a machine). I've used a Dremel tool with a buffing wheel and polish ON A LOW SPEED to fix exactly what you are talking about.
I think that display cover is plastic, AJ. Don’t know if buffing will do the trick.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, buffing is still the answer. The problem is figuring out the LIGHTEST starting point that will do the repair and not create more damage. Remember, the act of polishing removes the top most layer of anything. The top most layer is where any light damage will reside. If you can remove the layer with the damage, the only thing remaining are the layers with no damage. Thus, the act of polishing should leave you a perfect finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts