Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Conti DWS tires only got about 22,000 miles on them so I sent em back to Tire Rack for the mileage warranty. They sent me an e-mail saying I would be refunded $235.60 to my credit card and after a week of seeing no money I called them and found out they refunded the money to the card that bought the ORIGINAL set back in Oct. 2011. Problem is I'm NOT with that bank anymore! That bank kept charging me fees even though with a business acct they shouldn't have so we left them after only 2 months for the bank we're with now. Tire Racks answer was that they refunded the money its not they're fault that they sent it to a closed acct. and that the bank they sent it to will have to forward the money to me. So a call to the old bank and I'm told it'll be 7 to 10 business days to research if they have the money and then another 7 to 10 business days for them to either issue me a check or a letter stating they couldn't find the money. So my $235.60 I may or may not see by the end of this month! After 10 years of buying tires from Tire Rack for all my families cars and trucks the very 1st time I have a warranty issue THIS is what happens and they just can't understand why I'm so upset! WTF are they stupid? Looks like Tire Rack just lost a customer....well a whole family of customers and I'll NEVER recommend them to ANYONE ever again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So my Conti DWS tires only got about 22,000 miles on them so I sent em back to Tire Rack for the mileage warranty. They sent me an e-mail saying I would be refunded $235.60 to my credit card and after a week of seeing no money I called them and found out they refunded the money to the card that bought the ORIGINAL set back in Oct. 2011. Problem is I'm NOT with that bank anymore! That bank kept charging me fees even though with a business acct they shouldn't have so we left them after only 2 months for the bank we're with now. Tire Racks answer was that they refunded the money its not they're fault that they sent it to a closed acct. and that the bank they sent it to will have to forward the money to me. So a call to the old bank and I'm told it'll be 7 to 10 business days to research if they have the money and then another 7 to 10 business days for them to either issue me a check or a letter stating they couldn't find the money. So my $235.60 I may or may not see by the end of this month! After 10 years of buying tires from Tire Rack for all my families cars and trucks the very 1st time I have a warranty issue THIS is what happens and they just can't understand why I'm so upset! WTF are they stupid? Looks like Tire Rack just lost a customer....well a whole family of customers and I'll NEVER recommend them to ANYONE ever again.

Tire Rack should still be legally responsible to provide the funds. Although it was sent to a closed account, there should have been some sort of trigger to alert the vendor that the account was closed. I'm looking at this from the perspective as if you attempted to pay them with an account that was closed. Nevertheless the vendor is still responsible

·
1,481 Posts
Not to be lost here, conti's = the suck (in terms of durability)

Just my opinion, of course...but I've never seen a set of conti's last more than 25k miles...usually much less.

I'm sure some here have had better luck, but on heavy RWD cars, in my experience, they just don't hold up. 20k miles is optimistic, sadly. And if you're on AWD, lucky to get 18k miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ya, I thought 22K on tires with a heavy high horsepower car was pretty good...well, if you drive like me that is. Anyway, glad you have the refund coming. Don't let one bad experience keep you from buying from them again....especially if all your other experiences have been good.

If I quit buying from every vendor who pissed me off at one time or another, I would have nowhere to shop!!! :err:

It does seem crappy they did not have a flag in their system that your old account was closed. They should have confirmed account info with you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you tried calling customer service at Tire Rack more than once to resolve the refund issue, specifically for the issue pertaining to their closed account excuse? Sometimes, even with companies that have great customer service, you can end up talking to a single dumb employee that ruins it. If you haven't already, maybe just try calling back at a different time of day and day of the week and talk to someone else and see what they say.

I once had a Citi bank CS rep tell me he couldn't accept payment for my CC bill over the phone because my account had been closed at my own request recently due to a bar tender giving my credit card away to someone else. The new card didn't come in time enough for me to link my online account and pay the bill and I didn't have any statements available since I had all electronic correspondence and they lock your account down when it's reported lost/stolen until you get the new card/account number in the mail. So I had my first late credit card payment ever. I ended up calling back to complain and another rep said the other person was obviously misinformed and said she could have accepted the payment regardless of whether I had the new card because they don't have to disclose my account number to accept money. Moral of the story, sometimes you have to simply call back and speak to someone else.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
To be devils advocate though, maybe you should make sure they know which credit card to credit the amount back to?... where did you think they were going to credit it to?...

and I am actually suprised they gave you money back cause every tire warranty I ever heard of they try to say you drove on them hard and wont cover it.... if it was me, they would have denied my claim to begin with... :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tire Rack should still be legally responsible to provide the funds. Although it was sent to a closed account, there should have been some sort of trigger to alert the vendor that the account was closed. I'm looking at this from the perspective as if you attempted to pay them with an account that was closed. Nevertheless the vendor is still responsible
I agree with this here. I had a similar issue with money being sent to me to a non existing account (inverted number on account). After the electronic transfer didn't take, I had to wait a couple weeks for a check to arrive.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I always used Discount Tire Direct, or Tread depot(until they started charging for shipping). Never used Tire Rack because DTD is usually cheaper and has free shipping.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Although I think there is an invisible Bullseye target on you. Everything happens to you.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
quick search for the rears on the Dunlops I've been looking at, both DTD and TD are 20-30 bucks more... :( I guess it depends on what tire?
Yeah I guess so, I haven't shopped at TD in a few years, and usually it's cheaper for me from DTD for the tires I buy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did they mention how you would receive the money back? Did you tell them that you were no longer with that bank?

So in the end you will be getting the money correct? It is a poor situation but it seems like tire rack did there part.

I'm not sure how they treated you but they did honestly do their part. Unless I'm missing something tire rack would have had to give you a double refund in order to make you happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Lol if I was buying tires and they lasted 22K miles... AND I got a refund... I'd be pretty happy.

It should work out in the end, they'll fix the mistake.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Man that sucks. I'm sure the bank that you had the old account will be your first call monday. Like others had said already ,you'd think there would be some kinda notice of the account being closed when they tried to put money into it. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The money I'm to be refunded is set to pay for my tune that I have an apt for on the 18th. I should have had the money with no problem but because the money was sent to an old card and old acct now that up in the air. The CORRECT way Tire Rack SHOULD have handled it was to request the money back from the incorrect back and issue the refund correctly to me now, not tell me well we did our part best of luck getting your money back from a 3rd party but we're out of it now. :D Guess what Tire Rack, I saved that e-mail and I'm going to my credit union to dispute the incorrect refund and get my money now and you and the other bank can figure out how you get your money back.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Note to self: Always inform who ever I am getting a refund from to send money to my current account if I know I bought something on a closed account...

·
Tail o'the Dragon Action!
116 Posts
This points out the difference between an INACTIVE account (very common) and a CLOSED account (not common). If you simply stop using the account, or don't activate the new cards they send you, the account is still yours, just inactive. Money cannot be credited to a closed account. To close your account requires a call to the bank and answering their multiple requests to keep the account open with "CLOSE IT!". They don't like to make your inactive account, which you still own (check your credit report) into a closed account. Bankers, help me out with this but I think the inactive account is still a positive for the bank whereas the closed account is not.

BTW I got 40K out of my DWSs and all were not yet to the wear bars. I've since installed the Conti Pure Contacts and find the ride much better and wet and snow traction ah-maz-ing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
tire racks reply was pure bs....they owe you money...until it gets to you, they owe.

Discount Tire FTW!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts