Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
I have an 09 g8 gt, with AFW cai, and I'm having SLP long tubes put on with hollowed cats.
It's been a nightmare to find a shop in central Florida.
1st shop I made appt 1 month in advance drove 2hours and they messed up their scheduling and couldn't do my car and wasted my whole day. This place was horribly unprofessional and luckily I read reviews online when i got home and they have had alot of unhappy customers..so maybe a silver lining?

Well I found a mustang only olave with a dunk but they use SCT tuner..I asked if it was the handheld programmer, the shop said yes but they can upload a tune but I would have a check engine light and he said by law he couldn't tell me what to buy to fix it..I mentioned M.I.L. kits they has fired Mustangs since I've owned many in the 1990s and he said similar but couldn't tell me what it was I needed because it was illegal for them to do so.

1st question..this dyno place sounds like their using just a handheld programmer. I thought they couldn't use that once you go headers. Also the fact I'm paying $hundreds and I'm going to leave with a check engine light bothers me.
Does this sound normal? I'm in Florida and we dont even have emission testing.
Should I not use this company?
I'm going to ask what programmer they use and I'll add it to this post.

I wish there was someone in central Florida near me to do this work with hptuner and no check engine light.

Tha is in advance for advice

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The SCT is an handheld tuner with pre-loaded tunes like the Superchips. But this unit "should" be able to handle having custom tunes being loaded onto it and thus onto your ecu. ie... a tune to turn off the cat mil light etc.....

It really sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SCT is an handheld tuner with pre-loaded tunes like the Superchips. But this unit "should" be able to handle having custom tunes being loaded onto it and thus onto your ecu. ie... a tune to turn off the cat mil light etc.....

It really sounds like they don't know what they are doing.
He literally said I will 100%have check engine light because the SCT they use cannot turn off CEL so thate when I figured they didnt know ****.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have the SCT X4 Tuner with Kooks Mids Headers and Solo Mach balanced exhaust and I DO NOT have a CEL ON. I have the O2 extenders that came from Solo. I pack them with a chunk of stainless steel pot scrubber and i never get codes. SCT does also have a computer program that allows you to make more changes to the PCM and TCM. Advantage III SKU 4332GM
Buy your own SCT X4. Then buy the program.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
GT, did you have a shop custom tune your car using the SCTX4? Or what program are you referring to? One similar to HP Tuners where you make your own changes?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
No, the tune in the programmer allows for headers. It also offers a Corvette trans program that shifts way better. Im buying the computer program this year. A cam change will require more changes than the box program can handle. Best part is you can have a Street tune and a Track tune stored in the X4 and swap them as you wish. One advantage over HP.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the tune in the programmer allows for headers. It also offers a Corvette trans program that shifts way better. Im buying the computer program this year. A cam change will require more changes than the box program can handle. Best part is you can have a Street tune and a Track tune stored in the X4 and swap them as you wish. One advantage over HP.

I'm retired..I want to dyno it and video so I can post it here..I wanna see what numbers the SLP long tubes and AFE intake with dynomax axle backs make to the wheels.
Also I want the sport mode tranny tune.
I have 2 drag cars that consume my time and this car is just a low nilage beater..I have only 34k on odo..so I want to dial it in on dyno on 93 and see how it feels with a proper tune..I really dont wanna mess with tuning myself off of a dyno. But I appreciate the response.. I found NEXT LEVEL performance in central Florida and I'm making an appt tomorrow..they have hptuner and a dyno..I will post results and hopefully a video as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts