Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to tune my machine in the next couple of weeks for spring with some simple maintenance. Is Seafoam worth it or is there another fuel system treatment you guys prefer? I know some will say BG44K. And as far as Seafoam, is it just as effective by simply pouring some into the gas tank? I read that was another way to use Seafoam but I figured the vacuum line was more effective?

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
My $.02. Seafoam is better served in the vacuum/ brake booster line running down through the intake manifold.. I use B12 Chemtool in the fuel tank since it is nearly half the price of a bottle of Seafoam.

·
Fort Worth, TX
166 Posts
My $.02. Seafoam is better served in the vacuum/ brake booster line running down through the intake manifold.. I use B12 Chemtool in the fuel tank since it is nearly half the price of a bottle of Seafoam.
+1 I have seen a difference with Seafoam in the fuel tank only on my bikes. Never could tell any difference on anything else. That said, through the intake on ATVs was a serious smoke show. Not bad on the G8, just a little smoke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My mom's boyfriend swears by this stuff, I haven't really noticed a difference in my G8, but I used it in my G6 and the hard idle stopped. That's about all I noticed in that car though.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I dunno I've heard of this stuff actually hydrolocking the engine, and have not used it myself (except on a motorcycle) because I am a little worried about it. If you DO use it here's the rule of thumb: 1/3 in the vacuum line, 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil. A good idea is to pour the 1/3 for the vacuum line out into a plastic cup first because the problems arise when the engine sucks up too much of the seafoam liquid at once causing hydrolock, you gotta let it just sip a little at a time and may need somebody giving it a little gas now and then to keep it from stalling.

Also, you let it idle for a good 15-20 minutes before driving, and DO NOT drive it hard thereafter. You should change the oil AND the spark plugs within 100 miles of doing it.

Good luck...personally I don't think I will do this on my G8 w/ all the problems involving the delicate AFM parts and the fact that I change the oil w/ synthetic every 5-7,000 and use lucas complete fuel system cleaner every 10,000

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I seems like someone would half to actually stick the vacuum line down into the can of seafoam to hydrolock an engine with it. It just doesn't seem like it would be that easy to do. I have never had any issues with using this stuff. I think it probly does a good job of getting the oil residue off of the inside of the intake manifold and off of the backs of the valves. Basically it cleans up the stuff that adding a catch can would prevent.

·
Fort Worth, TX
166 Posts
I dunno I've heard of this stuff actually hydrolocking the engine, and have not used it myself (except on a motorcycle) because I am a little worried about it. If you DO use it here's the rule of thumb: 1/3 in the vacuum line, 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil. A good idea is to pour the 1/3 for the vacuum line out into a plastic cup first because the problems arise when the engine sucks up too much of the seafoam liquid at once causing hydrolock, you gotta let it just sip a little at a time and may need somebody giving it a little gas now and then to keep it from stalling.

Also, you let it idle for a good 15-20 minutes before driving, and DO NOT drive it hard thereafter. You should change the oil AND the spark plugs within 100 miles of doing it.

Good luck...personally I don't think I will do this on my G8 w/ all the problems involving the delicate AFM parts and the fact that I change the oil w/ synthetic every 5-7,000 and use lucas complete fuel system cleaner every 10,000
There is now an spray can and tube version specifically for use through the intake.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
There is now an spray can and tube version specifically for use through the intake.

Eh, maybe I will try it...but I'll wait until I get 125,000 or so...I just changed plugs. You DO need to change plugs after, seafoam is like kerosene it'll cook the sh*t outta them, I had my plugs changed less than 10,000 miles ago so I'm going to wait to try this.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never used SeaFoam. But to me, it would make more sense to just remove the intake manifold and throttle body and clean it out with mineral spirits or something of the like.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
i used it right before my oil change at 47k,
i believe it works because you actually see it working rather then other bullsh*t people recommend

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
I have used it before through the vacuum line before I got a catch can. It definitely worked as my intake manifold was soaked in oil before the catch can. My throttle response was improved for sure after the smoke shoe.

I've used it in the gas tank a couple of times. Every time I noticed an improvement in MPGs

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I have used it before through the vacuum line before I got a catch can. It definitely worked as my intake manifold was soaked in oil before the catch can. My throttle response was improved for sure after the smoke shoe.

I've used it in the gas tank a couple of times. Every time I noticed an improvement in MPGs
Did you change your plugs or oil after you did the seafoam in the gas tank and intake? I can see where it would be necessary to change the oil after adding it to the oil. From what I see most people dont change their plugs after using this stuff and I never have after using it.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Did you change your plugs or oil after you did the seafoam in the gas tank and intake? I can see where it would be necessary to change the oil after adding it to the oil. From what I see most people dont change their plugs after using this stuff and I never have after using it.
I checked my plugs before and they looked exactly the same so I didn't change them at the time.

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Over the years, I have used Seafoam in several vehicles mostly in the oil and intake manifold. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Pontiac G8, Mercury Sable, Lincoln Navigator, old school Cadillac, two Dodge Ram 1500 (vans) all with zero adverse side effects (perhaps I got lucky seven times, can't say). Each time I used considerably more than a third of the bottle in the intake manifold and about the recommended dosage in the oil. I agree with changing the oil and oil filter when using it in the engine. As far as the spark plugs are concerned, didn't change any of them and all of them rum better than before the Seafoam treatments. Just my $.02/

·
Registered
936 Posts
I used it a few weeks ago on my dad's 96 Z71 with close to 200k on the clock. It had a solid miss that I just couldn't narrow down. It had spark on all 8 and fuel, but I ran the whole can through it and after the smoke show it runs fine. I've used the whole can everytime I use it which is probably 7 cars or so. Never an ill effect, never changed plugs afterwards either. People might think it was coincidence that it just happened to start running fine afterward, but it runs fine now anyway you look at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Drives with wolves
900 Posts
Seafoam should be a cologne.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts