Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went earlier this year and ran a 8.5x with the clutch wanting to stick to the floor so I was content. I been biting at the bit to go back and did today. Ran twice with the first pass easing it with the clutch and ran a 8.58 and clutch felt pretty good. Ran again and was a touch more aggressive and ran a 8.49 w/ 2.09 60ft and the clutch was half way to the floor when I let out at the end so I didn't try another pass. With the da being +2900 didn't think it was too bad. I was the fastest LS car there without boost so I felt good lol.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
You should consider getting an aftermarket clutch that would do the job, it seems the stocker or whatever you may have in there is on borrowed time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the stock one. It does good on the street but on a sticky track it acts up. I flush the fluid every 5k miles which helps a little. I'm still up in the air on what clutch to buy. Spec is just down the road, I've ran centerforce and love them and I'm leaning toward the mcload street twin.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
We used to have the same issues with the LS2 clutches in the GTO. The stocker would be fine until some power was added rendering the clutch useless with any type of performance driving. In the modified GTO's, very few clutches would stay together for a decent amount of time, mostly because the weight of the car vs power output, i'd figure the issue would be worst in the LS3 GXP, more power and more weight., among them, Monster clutches, and you don't have to run the twin version to get it to last unless you're pushing FI, a Monster single clutch for your application would give you waaayyyy better driveability, with enough clamp power to work as it should, while lasting a very decent amount of miles, twin clutches are a bitch to drive for DD duties.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've drove a twin not too long ago and it did as good as anything I've drove. I too feel that a twin disc is more suited to a power adder car which is why I'm looking at centerforce and spec(for the reasons I posted).

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Not too bad. Thankfully my stock clutch doesnt do that. My old 2005 gto use to do that with the stock clutch and it was annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I don't miss my old stock clutch a bit! You are doing well considering that you still have yours though. I got sick of the pedal sticking on me in competition. Ever since I added my Katech LS9R kit with Tick remote bleeder valve, I have had no issues. I am now able to launch as high as 5000 rpm if the track is prepped well enough. I learned from experience that the stock clutch is acceptable for street use with no mods, but once you start modding an M6 GXP or taking it to the track regularly, you will need to upgrade. Good luck on dropping those times some more!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
How is the LS9R pedal feel? Id like to get the stock clutch out before I go back to the track in oct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts