Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my g8 v6 into an accident a while ago and I've been slowly putting it back together over the past year. The accident wasn't too bad, I only had to replace the front bumper, fender and airbag/seatbelt. Every couple weeks the car was started to keep everything running and lubricated. In the accident the ground wire at the front driver fender came loose(it was just dangling in the air) and went unnoticed and one of the times the car was started to run for a few minutes, it touched the frame and sparked.

Since then the car went into security lockout and the key was stuck in the ignition, the engine doesn't turn over and the transmission was locked in park. I searched google and a couple of guys said replacing the battery got rid of the lockout, so I did that but it remained in lockout

The rest of the car has since been put back together and I took it to the dealer to get it out of security lockout and clear the codes. The dealer took 2 hours to find a "problem" and said the whole fusebox needed to be replaced. It has since been replaced and he looked at it for another 2 hours and still can't find whats causing the lockout.

Hoping someone on here can help me out as my bill at the dealership is starting to rack up and it seems like they don't know how to fix it.

TLDR: Car stuck in security lockout, dealer cant find the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
With the equipment that car dealer service departments have access to, you would think that a fix would be found by them. Sounds like you picked a less than stellar service center to do the T/S. The ground wires attached to the left finder allow things like the running lights, engine cooling fan(s) to operate, along with a few other things. If at the time the engine was running, an you had the A/C going (which would most likely call for those fan(s) to turn on, or the running lights were requested to be turned on (due to available light conditions), I can see attaching that ground wire to its mounting location could easliy cause a sparking action.
IF, you have control of the car at this time, you need to post up a bunch of information. Like if the key is stuck in the aux position, what thinks work, and what things comes to life when the key is rotated to the full on run position ? The more info you can post, the better it would be for others to try to help you on what appears to be a significant problem.
Having that pic showing the problem talked about, does this mean the car is an 08 version ?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is currently still at the dealer but the key was stuck in the ignition and turns from the off position to the aux position but would not turn to run. Nothing in the car functioned, the radio showed the message in the original post and the dash came up with all ABS and airbag fault as well as a contact dealer message. No headlights, no window function, no power lock function, transmission locked to park, engine does not turn over

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
If your car is going to remain at the service center, an parked in the south pasture an labeled as unable to solve, there's not much I can do to help. What did they say was wrong with the underhood fuse box that caused them to replace same (without helping one bit) ? If you are going to rely on them to continue T/S your problems, anything I might suggest to try would be moot. Plus anything that I might post, surely must have been looked at or checked by them (I would hope). But if you do have a meter (an can work on your car) I think you have to work backwards in the power circuit to the underhood fuse box. One thing that sticks out to me, is what the B+ FU7- 50A (BATT 2) fuse controls. You need to verify that it is "not blown". Many of those things you say that are inop (including the ignition key theft deterrent function) rely on that power souce to make things operate as they should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm going to the service center tomorrow afternoon to talk to the technician and see what he has to say. The reason they said I needed a new fusebox was that the old one smelt "burnt". From my interaction with the rep I've been speaking too the tech doesn't seem very proficient with electronics. The service rep was saying he found spliced wires (which were from me adding the upgraded stereo subs and amp in the trunk). Just sounds like he's grasping at straws since he can't find the issue. Probably going to end up towing it back home and spending a few hours with the multi-meter if I can get my hands on some wiring diagrams.

I'll keep you updated on what he has to say lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine ended up being a fried BCM, dealer also replaced under hood fuse box and battery but the issue persisted until BCM was replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it was because I ran the car with the ground strap disconnected from the front drivers fender while I was fixing it and then the wind blew it and it sparked off the frame, probably caused a voltage or current spike and it fried a chip in the BCM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts