Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys -
Quick story - 128,XXX miles on my 09 GT G8, and debating on whether to undertake the DOD project. Here is why I'd like your advice:
  • Purchased a one owner at 98,XXX as the body was near perfect, interior perfect, and TX car so zero corrosion
  • Zero mods, and the owner had just spent $4,500 at the dealership due to lifter failure on #2 cylinder
  • Camshaft, all lifters and intake manifold replaced, along with a pulley and all gaskets
  • Lastly, I changed the plugs ($4,500 apparently doesn't get one new plugs...) & posted a thread here as 1/2 had heavy oil on them.
So, what diagnostic should I perform before diving in? Thinking compression test & leakdown as a start but have read that a scope to check cam bearings is also a good idea. I have never done any of these tests before, so this is why I am asking. Thanks in advance for reading this and any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
2009.5 G8GT
50 Posts
From what I had to do to remove the DOD was to be sure that your G8 is either a 2009, 2009.1(mostly the same) or a 2009.5(more like a Chevy SS, or the PPV.) A lot of parts I had to make sure that they were correct, as most will just list a 2009 not 2009.5 (RPO is BSI). There were a lot of changes in the 2009.5 model year engine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your info, johncampanale - much appreciated. My G8 GT is 2009 as per the VIN.

If anyone else has done any diagnostic testing prior to doing the DOD delete I'd sure like to hear from you!

Thanks guys, and appreciate any input -

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,219 Posts
Before I started my engine mods last fall, I did have a compression test done on my 125K engine. All cylinders were between 138 and 144 if I remember correctly. I did take the GT to the local garage to have them do the compression test and that they looked over the engine to see if anything looked funny. I don't know what they checked at the end of the day, but no issues.

For the cam bearing, I did buy a camera that I did snake in once I had the camshaft out. I don't think there is a way to check them otherwise. I had some wear, but nothing that looked like it needed to be replaced. Camera that connected to the mobile via Bluetooth was around $50.

If you have never taken an engine apart aside from water pumps, alternators, starters, etc., like myself, I do have a long post that shows what I went thru to modify mine. I had never removed an intake, much less pulled heads, etc.

(22) G8 GT DIY Camshaft Swap | Pontiac G8 Forum (g8board.com)

It is somewhat long, I did ask some stupid questions, folks on the forum here helped and I used Alldatadiy.com as well.

Good luck.

Reactions: johncampanale

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Oldpoop55 - thanks for the reply, and I did check out your build thread - what a great resource! Also, appreciate the note on the scope and must have missed that in my reading. I have never used one before but am guessing there are some "how to" videos online I can learn from. Lastly, thanks for the compression numbers. Take care -

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,219 Posts
The cam scope was not bad. Just had to fiddle with keeping it straight as you fed it in. I would take a picture as I hit each bearing then took a better look later. I think I included some pics in the build thread. Would have been a lot easier if I had someone snap the pics as I fed in the camera. I was doing both myself.

For me, it was all about labeling the parts in separate bags as it came apart, walk away and come back if something was frustrating and just take your time. Pat yourself on the back as you get each system back on, no one else will and enjoy the success when done.

Okay, enough sappy stuff.

Good Luck

Reactions: johncampanale

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cam scope was not bad. Just had to fiddle with keeping it straight as you fed it in. I would take a picture as I hit each bearing then took a better look later. I think I included some pics in the build thread. Would have been a lot easier if I had someone snap the pics as I fed in the camera. I was doing both myself.

For me, it was all about labeling the parts in separate bags as it came apart, walk away and come back if something was frustrating and just take your time. Pat yourself on the back as you get each system back on, no one else will and enjoy the success when done.

Okay, enough sappy stuff.

Good Luck
Thanks for the details on the cam scope, Oldpoop55. I have done a cam swap on the GTO, but since everything was relatively new (30,000 miles when I started modding) I didn't have to check for any wear, compression, or any other issues. So since the GT has in excess of 120,000 on the odo, I'm trying to do my diligence before dropping a lot of parts on and into this engine. Thanks again for taking time to reply and sharing your experience - greatly appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts