Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this is the best place to post this. I currently have a 2009.1 G8 GT with 68,000 miles. The only mods I have are an intake, tune, and brakes. I really like the power but want at least 400 to the wheels. I have been in the market for awhile but do not know where I should go. I thought about the 2009 CTSV but reading the forums scares me about reliability. I want a GXP but would probably drive it in the winter so I think that would be a bit dumb for the value.

I guess my question is should I mod the GT to be better then the GXP or go for it?

I have looked for a better 4 door option and there just is not one for under 30k. Having a stick is not a real option since the wife wont learn. So I would probably get an auto GXP.

Thank you for any response. Just looking for some who have made the switch or modded past the GXP.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Been looking for a auto gxp for under 30k for about 2 months and have had no luck if u go that route u will have to be patient, and be willing to travel.

·
every village has one
2,335 Posts
Depends upon several things.
Do you own the GT outright? Need to consider the cost of the difference.
68k can be a world of difference between two cars, depending on how it's been maintained. Yours is stock internally, you can solve two problems at the same time. Get of worn parts and get some performance at the same time.
If you want to gain miles back, a previous post was right. Good low mileage GXP's don't come up all that often, and you'll be lucky if one is close to you.
A lot of us would like a GXP, but it might be more cost effective to play with the GT. If you've had warranty work done, etc., you know
what you've got.
400 at the wheels isn't all that hard to get. You'll be happy with it.
For a while....

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If you're after an auto the answer should be keep the GT. I have said numerous times on this forum A6 to A6 doesn't warrant the premium for the GXP. You will need brakes as maintenance item: upgrade, by 70,000 miles the stock FE2 shocks/struts should be shot: upgrade to FE3 and lovells poly bushings/bearings (which a GXP could use as well) around $500 total for parts & it is a maintenance item, add LT headers and custom tune & you're =>GXP.

WHat I'm getting at - 2 of the advantages of the GXP, brakes and suspension, you should be at the point where you need to replace anyhow for maintenance and can upgrade to match the GXP performance. In regards to power whether you had a GXP or GT you're going to want to continue modding it, so may as well stick w/ the car you already have and know intimately in terms of maintenance and care.

I have 106,000 miles and didn't add headers until 98,500...my car still runs great, I will most likely add a small DOD cam and mild converter at some point too...I think what it really comes down to: what do you have invested in your GT, do you own it or what do you owe on it, financially would it make sense to start all over again?

Personally I'm keeping the damn thing lol, I bought new winter tires this year and summers last year, plus I just had all my major services done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with alot of what is said. G8 GT Auto -> G8 GXP Auto makes 0 sense if you don't want the car purley from a collector car standpoint. The cost difference is extremely hard to justify.

With that said, any car can be very reliable, here is a CTS-V that proves that: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3645739118.html I hope you don't fall out of your chair when you read that ad!

I, like Jover, am looking for a GXP, but a 6M. Auto -> 6M makes a bit more sense. I too have been looking for months, and since Jover is looking for an Auto, we have shared leads.

At the same, I am starting to wonder about a 6M Conversion on the new SS. Might be the easiest way to go (or just get the 2014 Z/28)

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's not like there new anymore and the price difference is 10k+. I bought mine with 18k on it for 27 grand. Near perfect condition. People are selling GT's for a 3-4 grand less than that. You're getting better gearing, brakes, suspension. Better engine. No DOD to have to worry about. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just saying if you can swing a few extra grand it might be worth the wait......

I agree with alot of what is said. G8 GT Auto -> G8 GXP Auto makes 0 sense if you don't want the car purley from a collector car standpoint. The cost difference is extremely hard to justify.

With that said, any car can be very reliable, here is a CTS-V that proves that: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3645739118.html I hope you don't fall out of your chair when you read that ad!

I, like Jover, am looking for a GXP, but a 6M. Auto -> 6M makes a bit more sense. I too have been looking for months, and since Jover is looking for an Auto, we have shared leads.

At the same, I am starting to wonder about a 6M Conversion on the new SS. Might be the easiest way to go (or just get the 2014 Z/28)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Keep the G8 and MOD it, especially since you don't want a manual.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you wanted a 6MT, then absolutely sell the GT. However, you want to keep the 6AT. Its far easier to upgrade everything else to GXP spec.

Keep it! :) Unless you get tired of hearing, "But why didn't you buy a GXP"? Because, that's a whole different (idiotic) issue......

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Keep it .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not own the car I bought it with 33,000 miles on it. I owe something like 10 grand on it. I did buy a set of winter rims and tires for it which made a huge difference in handling. I guess there are just thins I do not like about the car. Mostly the interior is what bothers me but I saw someone on here with that wrap and I think that might work for me. If it really is going to cost roughly 500 for the sus. then that will be nice. I guess I will wait and see how the summer goes but I am leaning towards keeping it. I also do not much like the seats but do not want to give up the airbags. I am only 165lbs so they are not a good fit. Thank you for the replies.

·
Drives with wolves
900 Posts
Keep. Mine is paid off in 5 months, I will own it outright with less than 50k miles in it. Not bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understand your dilemma. I have an '08 G8 GT with 33k miles that I absolutely love and wouldn't give up for anything....except a GXP. I've been seriously looking for an A6 GXP since July of last year and also have had no luck.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
keep it. to my understanding u can swap in a fe3 susp or just put pedders on the gt, and its aprox 50/60 hp or so difference to the crank which can be easily equaled with a tune and a few bolt ons. unless u plan on never driving the gxp so that the value can be kept or u get a m6, theres no reason to get the gxp...unless u wanna get a gxp and keep the gt as a dd... o_O...

·
MUSCLE Biotch!
1,036 Posts
Keep it and mod it.

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
I understand your dilemma. I have an '08 G8 GT with 33k miles that I absolutely love and wouldn't give up for anything....except a GXP. I've been seriously looking for an A6 GXP since July of last year and also have had no luck.
What color are you looking for?

·
218 Posts
not worth it. Keep the GT. As everyone else has stated, only reason to move to a GXP is the manual.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keep it. The price difference you will pay is not worth the benefits in my opinion. I got rid my my manual BMW because I was sick and tired of constantly shifting and clutching...it gets old in stop & go traffic. I got an auto G8 Gt...and don't miss the manual a bit.

I put simple mods on my G8Gt (in my sig) and it really woke up the car. I love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts