Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My customers just rebuilt a 2009 Pontiac G8.. They are about done GDS VCI.. anyway, the service engine soon light is on but when they hooked it up there was not any codes thrown back. Do my customers need to take it somewhere for diagnostics or something?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If they just rebuilt it best just to clear all codes and monitors and start from scratch, although you propbly had the battery disconnected it has already done it once when you hooked it back up but just clear them again and see what pops up again now that you have everything hooked up and dialed in and stable.

Another possibility is it might be a code that the scanner you used does not read. Make sure you get one that will read transmission, ABS and even some Body control codes. Most of the time when you get a check engine light it is ususally a P code (for powerrain) there are some T and B codes that could set an engine light. If your code reader cannot read them you wont see those codes.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
In my car, you get a *service * reminder display in the DIC. When I ask for mine to display, it shows *service reset* *no items*. They make it sound like, if you haven't had any service done within 150000 km (about 93000 mi), you will get a display of a car with a wrench symbol positioned vertically up the middle. Can't tell you what type of servicing GM would have in mind that might prevent it from displaying in the first place. If this is what you have, they show a reset procedure that will clear it. You *are* talking about this display aren't you ? If not, post again as to exactly you do have, and where its displayed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oil has its own set of warning messages so that's highly unlikely to be the cause.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If it's oil reset you simply turn key on and mash throttle 3 times to reset oil life, if it is ck eng lamp you will need a more capable scanner, many won't read trans codes relayed to pcm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts