Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyone know how to turn off the Service Soon light? This thing keeps coming on. Also, has anyone dealt with their exterior temperature not giving an accurate temperature or says 'outside' when you click on it?

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
If your getting a "service soon" display in your DIC, you can try this >>>>>> While pressing an holding the trip button, turn on the ignition, then release the trip button. The DIC should now display the service soon info (it does this in my car). To reset, press an release the left scroll wheel (my car then defaults back to the digital speed display). I have never had this display show up, so I'm not sure this will actually force the message to cancel full time.
To date, I have not heard of any outside temp sensor failure, but of course there's always a first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I was also searching and a couple of people said they replaced the oil pressure sensor on old threads. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Can't help you on the possibility of this being caused by a faulty oil pressure sensor. If others say replacing that sensor corrected that display you are getting, so be it. It sounds like a stretch to me, but I never stop learning new an unusual things about how this car goes about telling you its problems. The service manual says that *it* would display ----- in the area where the ambient air temp value would be displayed, if it developed a problem. The changing of the temp sensor display reading is a very slow process (normally). They say you can press these 3 buttons, AUTO, A/C OFF, an REAR DEFOGGER simultaneously an force the ambient temp sensor to display the current temp in real time. Don't really know how true that info is in the service manual (due to having found so many mistakes over the years). The proof reading crew dropped the ball on their assignment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pressure sensor did not work. You were right. My mechanic reached out to multiple people and they have no clue either. I will try pushing the 3 buttons and see if it works. That damn light is driving me nuts though.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I feel like one could throw a lot of parts at it before finding "the one". Get a real scan done.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Air Temperature Sensors
The air temperature sensors are 2-wire negative temperature co-efficient thermistors. The vehicle uses the following air temperature sensors:

• Ambient.
• Inside.

A signal and low reference circuit enables the sensor to operate. As the air temperature surrounding the sensor increases, the sensor resistance decreases. The sensor signal decreases as the resistance decreases. The sensor signal varies between 0-5 volts.
The inside temperature sensor operates within a temperature range between -40 to +90°C (+20.3 to +135.5°F). If the sensor is shorted to ground, voltage, or an open, the system will operate using an estimated default value to allow the system to operate. The ambient sensor operates within a temperature range between -30 to +70°C. If the HVAC control module has determined that the ambient temperature sensor has failed, the driver information centre (DIC) display shall display - - - - in place of the outside air temperature. If the sensor is shorted to ground, voltage, or an open, the system will operate using an estimated default value to allow the system to operate. If the engine coolant temperature is not more than 3°C (5.4°F) above the sensor reading, or if the engine has not been started in 3 hours, then the actual ambient air temperature sensor reading is displayed. Also at vehicle speeds greater than 35 km/h (22 m.p.h.), the ambient air temperature displayed may be allowed to increase, but only at a slow, filtered rate. The DIC displays the ambient air temperature value that it receives from the HVAC control module through a GMLAN message.
If the ambient (outside) temperature sensor is determined to be defective, then 1550353 is the part number for the automatic controls and 92229099 is for the manual controls.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
"As J Wikoff" hinted, I would think that something along the lines of what you are displaying, would record some type of fault code along with it. But if it picked off a *B* classified type code(s), you'll have to have access to a very upgraded type of code reader, or somebody that has the GM type computer setup that can find those codes. Just for my interest, does that *service soon* display include a display of a car with a spanner wrench positioned vertically thru the car symbol ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts