Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message is appearing on my DIC, it comes up as a car with a wrench through it. I don't get a CEL. Car seems to be running fine, This was my first time driving it since september. The car has been getting started on a weekly basis and driven around the block. I searched around and people were saying to check the remaining oil life, mine is at 75%. Doesn't really seem to be much info on this fault, has anyone had this problem or know someone that did?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Could be as simple as a bad or loose gas cap but you should get the codes read ASAP to see what it is. Some auto parts stores like Auto Zone offers free code reading and clearing if I were you I'd be heading to one now.

Good luck and let us know what you found.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
If the *service vehicle soon* display is also the *service reminder* display, they show a reset procedure. To reset it says to *press and hold* the trip button. Turn the ignition to the ON position. Release the trip button. The *service reset* will display in the DIC. Then press and hold the reset button for 3 to 5 sec. (the left scroll/reset roller) causes it to reset.

I tried it, and mine says *Service Reset* followed by *No Items* under it. If yours does display something below other than *No Items*, see if it warrants a reset (not showing something bad). If it resets, they say you should hear a confirmation beep. Worth a try.

Another thought--- Maybe that display is tied in with the trip mileage accumulated function. I reset my *trip miles* display at each fuel-up. If you leave that setting alone, maybe it has reached such a high mileage total, that it signals that *service soon* message to display. Then again, maybe that has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2008 GT
419 Posts
I would think loose gas cap as well. Or you bought gas with some water in it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I checked everything. Fuel cap, lights, trip reminder, oil life remaining, I even checked the built code scan thing (when you hold down the road button while turning the key to on). Everything checks out, so I disconnect the battery, wait 10 seconds and reconnect. I let the car idle for 5 minutes, then I drove around for a good 20 or so minutes and nothing, no message. I'm confused. Maybe she had woken up stupid?????

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
[quote maybe she had woken up stupid????? ____________ ][/quote]
lol.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will an OBDII reader pick it up, or does it have to be a techII?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just scanned with an OBDII and it picked up nothing. makes me scratch my head cause I'm getting no CEL

Attachments

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
you unplugged the battery you won't get the CEL anymore until the light comes back on. Wait a few more days and if nothing I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright, I'll keep an eye on. Just surprised I haven't seen this around the forums

·
Big D
333 Posts
About a year ago my cousin had that pop up on his display and he couldn't get the car to shift out of second gear. He parked the car and we waited for his grandfather to come get us. (About 20 minutes or so) When he got there the car indicator disappeared and and made us look really stupid. We went to have it looked at with the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have heard that a oil sender that is failing (possibly leaking inside unit) can cause this,gives bad signal to ecm, usually they have a slight weep from them as a bit of a telltale sign, this was mainly happening on the V6 though but have heard the odd V8, have a look at the sensor, at the back of the motor up against the firewall bit of a squeeze

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A service vehicle soon message is just a general warning message. It is a failure that does not apply to the powertrain. A generic scan tool will NOT pull the codes. You'll need someone like a tech II or modis.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts