Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't be in a hurry and take your time to line this thing up and use some tape or a helper like the directions tell you. Mine is ever so crooked and it's driving my anal a55 nuts! Take your time, obviously the tape and seal does not pop back up :shiner:

but props to a great product and color match to VG.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Lol, I just did mine in the weekend. Took almost an hour lining it up, checking, measuring, re-measuring, re-checking. Even had a few other G8ers look at the angle and position. I was so scared to pull the rest of the backing off. Agreed though, great product, no signal loss and perfect colour match.

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
i did take 30 - 45 minutes making sure it was aligned perfectly before
pulling the tape off and sticking it, because no, it will not come off
without trouble.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Man I only took 1-3 minutes to line mine up. I lined mine up using the rear window. I also used the "feel" of the base of the stock piece. It's perfect.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it's not really off, just noticeable if you're looking at it from the back at a 45* angel on the drivers side. I think I'm just going to deal with it. It's not a show car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I took about 10. min with the VG fin, setting had the wife spot from the front once we were happy with the spot. I took painters tape to mark it then prepped and stuck.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think I have mild OCD lol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I used a self-leveling laser and put it vertically where it lined up with the rear dart, middle of 3rd brake light, and the original antenna base. Then I simply lined up the shark fin with the laser and it is straight. It worked great.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Your like me, because you see it you think EVERYBODY else will notice it.My Base had a dent on the lip of the drivers front fender,so every time I got in its what my eyes went to it automaticly.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yep took about an hour to clean and align before dropping the antenna down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used painters tape and aligned my to the base and the rear window. Took about 20 mins. I agree once its down, its not coming off easily so take your time.

·
9C3 road warrior
121 Posts
Hey there, just a quick question. If the shark fin sticks via tape, why not use the old decal installer trick on it? Soak the area down with soapy cleaner before you pull the backing on the tape, then pull your backing and put it where it needs to go and aligns best. The soap under the adhesive lets you move the tape around without it sticking so if your angle is off you can compensate. To lock it down just leave it for a few hours (or use painters tape attached to a dry spot until the base sticky dries). That's how you do things like police car decals and it works every time....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey there, just a quick question. If the shark fin sticks via tape, why not use the old decal installer trick on it? Soak the area down with soapy cleaner before you pull the backing on the tape, then pull your backing and put it where it needs to go and aligns best. The soap under the adhesive lets you move the tape around without it sticking so if your angle is off you can compensate. To lock it down just leave it for a few hours (or use painters tape attached to a dry spot until the base sticky dries). That's how you do things like police car decals and it works every time....

Exactly.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is probably a good tip. not helping me now though :burnout:

i think centering it with the brake light wasn't too hard, for me it's that it doesn't point straight :(

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've done the decal trick in the past with water works with window tint as well. I was hesitant to try this with the sharkfin, didn't know if it would have an adverse effect on the tape reducing its adhesion strength.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Automotive trim tape is waterproof. That is why trim and nameplate don't fall off in the rain. I remember doing station wagon woodgrains. Lots of soapy water and the vinyl floated until I line the grain up. Squeegee out the water and it will never fall off.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your like me, because you see it you think EVERYBODY else will notice it.
Mine is slightly crooked. Made the mistake of mentioning this at a boys weekend, only to have my buddies razz me about it all weekend. The razzing stopped when I looked at my buddy's 2012 Audi S4, and the factory sharkfin was more crooked than mine.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
took me about 3 minutes with a tape measure, some masking tape and a sharpie... mine was painted kinda crappy but i dont care since i'm about to wrap the roof anyways

1 - 20 of 22 Posts