Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point in time I'm probably going to sell my GXP rims. Assuming I don't find a local buyer, how best does one go about shipping when tires are mounted to the rims? The only boxes I have are for rims only.

I could see taking two rims, placing the pretty side inwards and sandwich something soft in the middle. But what then do you use to squeeze the rims together so the soft middle doesn't fall out?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cardboard middle with tape through the holes?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I cut some big pieces of round cardboard to fit over the face and rear of the wheels and completely wrapped each wheel/tire combo with that saran wrap type packaging wrap to hold everything in place. I might use 2 pieces of cardboard on the fronts to protect the wheel face. Buyer was happy and said they arrived unscathed.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I cut some big pieces of round cardboard to fit over the face and rear of the wheels and completely wrapped each wheel/tire combo with that saran wrap type packaging wrap to hold everything in place. I might use 2 pieces of cardboard on the fronts to protect the wheel face. Buyer was happy and said they arrived unscathed.
I did similar to this placed two wheels facing each other, and I had enough tire bulge that the faces of the wheels didn't make contact. I then took a ratchet strap and cinched the two together (don't go crazy with it but snug them up). After that I placed cardboard on the outside and shrink wrapped them to hell and back. Buyer received no issues, all the way to Canada!

The only down side was when I was unloading them out of my truck at the shipping store (in the rain), the tires slipped out of my hands and bounced off the ground, right back into my finger. Damn thing still hurts when I go to try and open a water bottle! I guess I should have deflated them a little but o well. Good luck, I probably won't go through the hassle ever again, not to mention I will never ship anything to Canada ever again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and pictures, I like the protection on both sides and then saran wrap. I'll probably go that route and or just have the tires dismounted and use the boxes I have for the rims.

Chris

·
Registered
211 Posts
^What he said. You will probably want to stay away from strapping two of them together to avoid overweight charges.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I thought UPS charged extra if it was over 70lbs.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I did similar to this placed two wheels facing each other, and I had enough tire bulge that the faces of the wheels didn't make contact. I then took a ratchet strap and cinched the two together (don't go crazy with it but snug them up). After that I placed cardboard on the outside and shrink wrapped them to hell and back. Buyer received no issues, all the way to Canada!

The only down side was when I was unloading them out of my truck at the shipping store (in the rain), the tires slipped out of my hands and bounced off the ground, right back into my finger. Damn thing still hurts when I go to try and open a water bottle! I guess I should have deflated them a little but o well. Good luck, I probably won't go through the hassle ever again, not to mention I will never ship anything to Canada ever again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

That's exactly the way I shipped mine.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
I have shipped about two sets of wheels and tires, did exactly as Troy except strapping the two wheels together. A roll of the material used to wrap pallets comes in handy. Finally, I went over the warp with packaging tape.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I shipped each wheel/tire combo with like the pics above. Tho if you go to usps.com and set up shipping that way you will get a discount, and they will even pic them up at your house.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I made boxes, packed them with carpet on the faces.
Took some of my time but no big deal. Each box was about $25-$30 to ship. I used heavy cardboard didnt want the liabilty if a rim got damaged

1 - 18 of 18 Posts