Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this one got totaled unless the insurance company just gave up on finding a replacement bumper cover and the associated parts.

https://www.copart.com/lot/30796719

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
It looks like the airbag went off. That might've done it in.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yeah, looks like the air bag went off and there could be more damage than meets the eye here, possibly to the frame.
Quite possibly the age of the car had some bearing.
But to the right potential buyer this could be a steal to repair so it'll see the road again.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
375 Posts
Yeah, looks like the air bag went off and there could be more damage than meets the eye here, possibly to the frame.
Quite possibly the age of the car had some bearing.
But to the right potential buyer this could be a steal to repair so it'll see the road again.

That's not the airbag. It is a big zip tie with the key hanging off of it. Must be how they keep track of keys.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That's not the airbag. It is a big zip tie with the key hanging off of it. Must be how they keep track of keys.
….so, off to see the eye doctor next week....
Your right but there seems to be something funky about that steering wheel to me.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
375 Posts
….so, off to see the eye doctor next week....
Your right but there seems to be something funky about that steering wheel to me.

Looks okay to me.

If it weren't on the opposite side of the country from me, I'd give it a look and possibly a bid. I'm sure it will go for a halfway decent price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A nice car, nicely equipped. It looks like the left front fender is crunched.

It doesn't take a lot of damage to total a ten year old car with 112,000 miles. The labor to disassemble, repair, reassemble, and paint adds up really fast. Our eleven year old Buick Roadmaster with 145,000 miles was in a slow speed crumple to the left front quarter that looked about the same. But it was totaled. I bought it back and parted it out. The labor to do so was significant. I recognized that doing so at shop rates would have exceeded the cash value.

I expect that this will go for a whole bunch more than the current bid. If I already had a car, I'd bid on it as a parts car. And expect to get outbid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the engine out of my GXP right now and took the nose off to get at it. The front subframe has two rails, one on either side of the engine. They are stitch welded tubes, not like the solid pieces of frame you would find on a first or second gen Camaro (using that as reference, if you don't know what I mean, go look one up). By the looks of the hit, it probably bent the driver side subframe along with the steering shaft and who knows what else. Good luck finding a subframe for this car now, so that is probably reason it was totaled out. The lack of body/interior parts for these cars is a significant issue and won't get better with time. It can probably be saved by a car guy, that is not afraid to get greasy and can find a subframe for the car. I am sure one off a GT or V6 car would work. It will be a lot of work but if you can score the car pretty cheap, it might be a good way to get a 4 door LS3 powered vehicle.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hmm, this might make a great daily driver for me! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rad support is shifted to the passenger side.
Vararam doesn't line up, wrinkle in support above passenger headlight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This was mine twice upon a time. No frame damage. Today? 265,000 miles and counting.
Those look like major ouches. Glad it worked out for you. I expect it was a lot younger and worth more when it happened. Or you put some real personal time into fixing it.

Rad support is shifted to the passenger side.
Vararam doesn't line up, wrinkle in support above passenger headlight.
Good catch. I didn't notice it to begin with, but with your coaching I can see it easily.

I once had a six year old car with 96,000 miles that was stolen, damaged superficially, and stripped before recovery. The adjuster started adding up parts at retail and standard shop labor rates. When his running total hit the actual cash value, he said, "OK. That's it. It's totaled." I bought it back from the insurance company, fixed it myself with wholesale parts, and put another 110,000 miles on it over the next seven or eight years. But, it took my "free" labor and wholesale parts to do so.

It looks like someone with the time and knowledge could probably put this one back on the road. Maybe with some help from a rear ended car. And maybe shift some parts to his nice car.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Poor gal. Hopefully someone can bring her back to life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about a marriage between the subject car and this autotrader G8, grafting the good parts one way or the other.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=509599475

If I had the time, I'd end up with a sleeper GXP daily driver tow vehicle (sport utility vehicle) disguised as a white V6 G8. With the GXP drivetrain, suspension, brakes and a lot of nice 2009.5 parts. Keep the V6 wheels, tail lights, and Atari gauges. Sell the GXP wheels and tail lights. But that's just me. I like white non-flashy geriatric appearing performance cars. Don't get as much attention from law enforcement or thieves. And I'd end up with a young chassis. And have no problem doing the speed limit west out of Denver on I-70 up to the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000+ feet above sea level.

Another guy might go the other way to preserve the red GXP VIN. But with a salvage title, it might not be valuable except as a daily driver. But, a really nice daily driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
RobH
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing