Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the exhaust set-up in my sig and love it. Any benefit at all to maybe going with shorty headers also? BTW, I don't really want more volume and want to keep the HFC's.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I added Kooks Mids to my existing Corsa CB setup, and loved the results. Volume increase would be negligible I believe. However the quality of sound my car is farting out is nicer for sure. Can better hear the individual pulses of the exhaust, and got a marginal power increase. Attached is a link that will show you a little of what to expect from swapping out manifolds for mids and LTs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the exhaust set-up in my sig and love it. Any benefit at all to maybe going with shorty headers also? BTW, I don't really want more volume and want to keep the HFC's.
Going from the stock manifolds to a shorty header, you won't see any gain in HP or TQ. It would make the exhaust and under hood noise a little louder however.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess my biggest question/unknown is, would mids allow me to keep my Solo HFC's in the set-up? I love those things and they're not cheap so I don't want to have to remove them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JBA shorty headers would work and keep the Solo HFC's.
Thanks but shorty's don't net me any more HP so I'm trying to determine if mid-length headers will fit into my setup with the HFC's still in place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks but shorty's don't net me any more HP so I'm trying to determine if mid-length headers will fit into my setup with the HFC's still in place.
No, mid-length headers won't work and still be able to keep the Solo cats. Not sure that mid-length headers are even available for the G8.

I think your best option if you are intent on keeping cats is to go with something like the SLP headers. You would get a bump in HP/TQ, have cats, and bolt to the stock exhaust. You could sell the Solo cats to get some of the cost back.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Kooks have mids that will bolt to stock exhaust. They have cats. Sell your Solo cats and get the Kooks mids. Shortys do next to nothing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info/replies. Since mids that will allow me to keep the Solo HFC's aren't available I think I'll just stand pat. For me, the combo of the cold air intake, the ported TB, the Solo HFC's, X-pipe and Solo axleback is quick enough and sounds perfect (IMHO).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Between JBA shorties, Vararam, x-pipe, and a tune, I picked up close to 50 whp. I live in california, so longtubes were not an option.. But the car dyno'd at 352whp/362tq, while longtubes unquestionably would have got me better results, my car now has around 415 crank hp and still smogs without having to switch out headers every two years..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I had my Solo cats for years, then added the JBA shorties. Yes there is a difference , it pulls harder in the top end. Nothing huge but worth it. If you didn't already have the Solo cats, the Kooks Mids would be a better choice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Between JBA shorties, Vararam, x-pipe, and a tune, I picked up close to 50 whp. I live in california, so longtubes were not an option.. But the car dyno'd at 352whp/362tq, while longtubes unquestionably would have got me better results, my car now has around 415 crank hp and still smogs without having to switch out headers every two years..
I have the same setup as you, except I have Kooks mid-length headers. So I should have around the same amount of power as you. Nice to know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts