Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating selling my rare 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP PSM. Yes that is correct, the Pacific Slate Metallic G8 GXP. It is a car I have enjoyed since I bought it as the original owner. I have left it virtually stock, except for new brake rotors, brake pads and a tune. I have never driven it in winter, but took advantage of the summers and it has approximately 92k miles.

When I was originally looking for the car in 2008, I was constantly bugging the dealership to find me one, but with no success. Finally, I just started looking myself and found a few PSM G8's in Georgia, FL, TX and then saw two located in Vegas. One with a Sunroof and the other without. I did not want the sunroof, so I made the call to my dealership made the deal, bought plane tickets to Vegas for myself, my brother and a friend to fly in to pick it up and drive it home.

What a great experience driving it through the mountains and the plain states back to MN, with a detour to St. Louis to drop off my brother.

Should I sell or is it just too valuable to let go?

Sell---
Keep--

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Unless the money is used to save someone’s life, don’t sell it. Keep it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Always hard to argue selling something. If you feel like you have lost your attachment to it enough to sell, now if the time with the inflated prices all around. My 09 GT blue books for $3000 over what I paid with 20k more miles on it right now.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You're asking the question, then sell it.
Million dollar question , you capitalized Rare, so what do you think a non stick 100,000 mile GXP is worth ??

Yes I get it only 6 all season no roof auto Pacific slate ones.
While I love the PSM color, is it worth 10+ times my run of the mill , every one's dog has one black ?

·
Premium Member
7,868 Posts
Weigh the reasons to keep against those to sell. Sell if the latter outweighs the former. Keep if the former outweighs the latter.

·
Registered
400 Posts
While I love the PSM color, is it worth 10+ times my run of the mill , every one's dog has one black ?
Everyone's dog has a black GXP? 10+ times the worth? :unsure:

Back to the OP, I think GT Drew is heading you down the correct path - will you do something with the money that will bring you more joy than what you get from driving the car? If yes, then this may be the opportune time to sell.....if not, then keep the car even though used car prices are currently high.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
332 Posts
Unless you are hard for cash, I'd say no. It is "rare" but it's gonna be a few decades before we see some crazy Barret Jackson numbers and those will be bone stock, low to no mile units.

Curious, what sparked the question to sell?

"Maybe" the only reason I could see to sell would be in order to transfer value into an SS or similarly priced car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unless you are hard for cash, I'd say no. It is "rare" but it's gonna be a few decades before we see some crazy Barret Jackson numbers and those will be bone stock, low to no mile units.

Curious, what sparked the question to sell?
Per the quote above, It might be "rare" in terms of production numbers, but hardly a collectible with 92k. Of course, it could be a very nice driver for somebody.

Sure we all love PSM but that color + GXP alone are not going to drive it into collectible territory with those miles.

I'll repeat Andrew's question: what prompts you to consider selling? And if you were to do so, what would you want to see from the car?

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you have to ask, you're already considering it IMO. I was in a similar frame of mind and was going to sell mine earlier this year due to some health issues. Things changed and I'm not considering any longer. Also, given the market for cars right now, unless you absolutely HAVE to have something, I would wait. Sure you might get top dollar in this climate, but you'll be gouged on most anything you replace it with. If you would wait to buy, yeah you might come out ahead, but my patience is so miserable that I can't possibly endorse something like that.

I would keep it and enjoy it unless there is something keeping you awake at night.

-J

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
There's no cure for sellers remorse.
Easy for us to all say keep it, I'm still infatuated with mine, but if there's another itch you gotta scratch why not.
Then there's where you going to get another one if your next itch blows....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ironically, I’m in th same boat but mine is due to pending divorce. Mine is also PSM but M6 with only 14k miles, all stock and sunroof along with OEM gxp full size spare with tire changing kit. I am doing EVERYTHING I can to keep it so for me my answer would be keep it unless as GT Drew said you will put the money to good use. I have done what Pony Man and the others say … weight it out, put pros and cons on paper and let it sit and decide. For me, I’m still in the sitting stage and working every angle to keep it, including yielding more of my other assets to her but that might put me in a cash bind so the contemplating continues…good luck!

·
Grand Poobah
298 Posts
Ironically, I’m in th same boat but mine is due to pending divorce.
I went through this exact same thing with my low mile PSM M6 back in 2015 and ultimately had to sell it. I was sick about that and never got over it. I was fortunate enough to sell to a member here that valued it as much as I did and was willing to sell it back to me a few years later. I hope it works out for you. I'd be willing to buy it from you, store it, and agree to sell it back in a few years like he did for me if I didn't already have two and an SS!

Anyway, back to the OP - I agree with the earlier comments that at this point you're keeping it more for your attachment to it rather than it being worth a pile of cash in a few years. Is great that you've driven and enjoyed it for many years but the downside is the miles and auto will cap it's value down the road.

Good luck making a tough decision!

Reactions: DE DORSETT and benh

·
Registered
2009 MGM GT. In need of wider tires and LSA
73 Posts
If you have to ask, you're already considering it IMO. I was in a similar frame of mind and was going to sell mine earlier this year due to some health issues. Things changed and I'm not considering any longer. Also, given the market for cars right now, unless you absolutely HAVE to have something, I would wait. Sure you might get top dollar in this climate, but you'll be gouged on most anything you replace it with.

I've thought about selling my GT but would absolutely have to replace it with a similar V8 RWD fun car and doing that in this used car climate isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I don’t need the money, but I also don’t have the time to drive it that much anymore. I was lucky to get 800 miles on it this year. I had a few Buick GS (71 & 72), 1973 Camaro, 1970 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible and a few others that I miss, but the G8 is the only muscle car I bought new. I am thinking that maybe it’s time to give someone that same feeling I had the first time I drove it. Other than a slight crease on the bottom of the front bumper it is in great shape. I know some people like the M6 better, but every time I raced somebody with my automatic, I always won.
I may just get another old convertible for a few few summer drives until I get the bug to get something with raw power again.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi there! This was nice reading. Glad to come across this

Posts by this user on other forums

" yay, VERY excited for it. Thank you for sharing this!"

"
Početnik
Učlanjen Today at 22:25
Poslednja aktivnost Today at 22:37 · Pregleda temu Odbijam da priznam.."

2011 - 2017 Odyssey
hello there! ah this is such a great website. very helpful!!

VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum
hi there! hope your problem is solved now ..;)

Hi there! Thank you so much for the review. this was helpful and information.

Reported,
Now lets see if this user gets removed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am contemplating selling my rare 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP PSM. Yes that is correct, the Pacific Slate Metallic G8 GXP. It is a car I have enjoyed since I bought it as the original owner. I have left it virtually stock, except for new brake rotors, brake pads and a tune. I have never driven it in winter, but took advantage of the summers and it has approximately 92k miles.

When I was originally looking for the car in 2008, I was constantly bugging the dealership to find me one, but with no success. Finally, I just started looking myself and found a few PSM G8's in Georgia, FL, TX and then saw two located in Vegas. One with a Sunroof and the other without. I did not want the sunroof, so I made the call to my dealership made the deal, bought plane tickets to Vegas for myself, my brother and a friend to fly in to pick it up and drive it home.

What a great experience driving it through the mountains and the plain states back to MN, with a detour to St. Louis to drop off my brother.

Should I sell or is it just too valuable to let go?

Sell---
Keep--
If you can afford to keep it keep it…G8’s are classics….I just purchased an SUV and I kept my G8 GT….won’t get rid of it ever unless I move to another country….it’s a classic and I love driving it! 115,000 miles and going!…it’s still get offers for at least $13 grand…that’s how I know I’m keeping it 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
After watching collector car prices go up then down then up then down.....for 30+ years, I think this current peak will come down soon, and probably not go up again for a while, and when it does, the V8 muscle cars won't be prime. Anticipated gasoline prices and EPA requirements will eventually prevent these cars from being driven frequently. The collectors at any given point in time are mostly the 45-65 year olds who made their money and now want the car of their youth - so in the next "up" market 10+ years away, they will want performance cars of their youth with decent gas mileage, Civic and Acura Type R and Type S, 300z and 350z Subaru Sti, Lancer Evolution, etc. Cars that are still made, the company still exists, parts easily found. Not that a G8 isn't rare or collectible, but I just think they won't be at top of the list. If you are ever going to sell it, sooner is better than later as far as maximizing value. Otherwise, enjoy it until it shows up in your will. It certainly is a car to enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was contemplating this same question a few years ago thinking maybe getting a CTS-V or ZL1. At that time the prices weren't what they are now (and I would bet they continue to go up). I run into many people who wish they had a GXP or have been looking for one. They look great, even after 12 years, are rare, and are arguably the pinnacle of Pontiac cars. I've decided I'm keeping mine (which I bought new in 2009) for a LONG time.....

Reactions: DE DORSETT

·
Registered
20 Posts
After watching collector car prices go up then down then up then down.....for 30+ years, I think this current peak will come down soon, and probably not go up again for a while, and when it does, the V8 muscle cars won't be prime. Anticipated gasoline prices and EPA requirements will eventually prevent these cars from being driven frequently. The collectors at any given point in time are mostly the 45-65 year olds who made their money and now want the car of their youth - so in the next "up" market 10+ years away, they will want performance cars of their youth with decent gas mileage, Civic and Acura Type R and Type S, 300z and 350z Subaru Sti, Lancer Evolution, etc. Cars that are still made, the company still exists, parts easily found. Not that a G8 isn't rare or collectible, but I just think they won't be at top of the list. If you are ever going to sell it, sooner is better than later as far as maximizing value. Otherwise, enjoy it until it shows up in your will. It certainly is a car to enjoy.
great advise…now you have me thinking…I sort of cheated on GM and bought the Explorer ST so now I have speed and size…but th G8 GT is timeless…I guess if I get an offer near 15g’s I’ll take it…like u said the market won’t last for these cars forever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts