Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
332 Posts
After watching collector car prices go up then down then up then down.....for 30+ years, I think this current peak will come down soon, and probably not go up again for a while, and when it does, the V8 muscle cars won't be prime. Anticipated gasoline prices and EPA requirements will eventually prevent these cars from being driven frequently. The collectors at any given point in time are mostly the 45-65 year olds who made their money and now want the car of their youth - so in the next "up" market 10+ years away, they will want performance cars of their youth with decent gas mileage, Civic and Acura Type R and Type S, 300z and 350z Subaru Sti, Lancer Evolution, etc. Cars that are still made, the company still exists, parts easily found. Not that a G8 isn't rare or collectible, but I just think they won't be at top of the list. If you are ever going to sell it, sooner is better than later as far as maximizing value. Otherwise, enjoy it until it shows up in your will. It certainly is a car to enjoy.
While I somewhat agree, I do feel like we can use the past to somewhat predict the future. Looking at old JDM's there's is clearly a desire for the Supras and RX-7's from the 90's and that's only 20 years ago. At the same time an IROC is probably worth its weight in scrap but an IROC with 0 miles would be worth a fortune. I feel like the big V8 scene is kinda cool again, where a few years ago I felt like it was struggling and everyone wanted some JDM stuff, probably due to gas prices. But now with manufacturers phasing out V8's and opting for turbo 4 cylinders and v6's, we are definitely in the end stages of the V8 era. So that makes me think this car and similar cars (chargers, challengers, ctvs, camaros, etc) will eventually be collector cars if in mint condition but the ones that don't have the plastic still on the carpets from the factory, while they won't cross into 6 digit territory, will still be in demand.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My PSM GXP with sunroof is worth about $10k more than I paid for it a few years ago. Still under 50k miles. One of 56. While it's tempting to take the money and run, I've gotten attached to it in a way that I haven't experienced with any other vehicles I've owned ('66 Charger, '63 Riviera, etc...). If the stupidity continues, gasoline will probably be outlawed and we won't be able to register any vehicle that uses a combustion engine by 2035. This could be the time to get the big money for our cars.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts