Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently bought a 2009 Pontiac G8 Base. The car had issues at the very beginning but they weren't anything that couldn't be easily fixed. It was throwing a code for a misfire in Cylinder 6 and code for the canister purge valve. I fixed both problems by replacing all coil packs and spark plugs along with installing a new canister purge valve. That got rid of all check engine light codes. I decided to take the car to a gas station to fill it up with some Citgo premium gas along with dropping some seafoam in the tank. From there I drove it back home and parked it in the garage.

The following day, when I attempt to start it, the dreaded immobilized engine message popped up and now the car won't start. It truthfully did this a few times prior:

Couple times before I did any maintenance to it (though it struggled to run)

Couple times after but normally fired up without hesitation after cycling the key a couple times. (Ran smooth)

I originally thought it might be a key issue as I mistakenly dropped the one key I was given just prior to it not starting but not too sure. The dashboard is not displaying the Anti-Theft icon whenever I try turning it over. Nothing is working, I've tried cycling it a hundred times and it's not even cranking.

The things I've done so far was replace fuses associated with the ignition/theft system, tried jump starting the car (though it didn't seem to need it. None of the lights were dimming whenever I tried turning it over. And I'm getting 12.6 volts coming from the battery. As a side note, I'm getting the same voltage from the fuse box posts), cleaned the battery terminals, cleaned the ground post, and even changed the starter as much of an annoying job that was. Still no crank when I turn the key to the start position. There's a bit of clicking going on but sounds like it's coming from the relay box. I'm entering wits end on what to do here.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
668 Posts
The clicking is probably the throttle body(normal), which is basically next to the relay/fuse box. Mine does that but I have no issues. Hopefully others will chime in to help. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
584 Posts
Can you give more info on what all happened with your only 1 key you had and your current one?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Get the codes first with scanner

Reactions: 102SSRS and Hot Rod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, wanted to give an update. I just eventually figured out what the problem is, and there was two issues. Turns out my key wasn't being recognize by the car which is why my dash was throwing the engine immobilized message, which was preventing it from starting. It was confusing because of the fact that the lock icon was not being displayed. After paying a locksmith to make another key and programming it, car finally tried turning over, but failed. It required a jumper pack to turn over.

After hours of troubleshooting, trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start without needing to be jumped, I finally found the culprit. The ground wire in the trunk had a bad connection due to the condition of the bolt that screwed it down. One new bolt later, the car cranks over with no problems. Unfortunately, it was a bit late on figuring out the solution since I ended up paying for another battery, when it turned out that I didn't need one.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, as a couple side notes, don't try to be cheap like me and clean the old bolt if it looks beat up. I hosed down that bolt with brake cleaner then used a wired brush along with some sand paper trying save it and that definitely didn't work, just caused lots of sparks in the battery area. Just take the bolt, go to a hardware store and find a new one (I added a washer for extra measure).

And my car definitely was throwing no codes when the engine was immobilized. If you're not even getting a clicking sound when trying to start and no CEL codes are getting picked up by a OBD2 engine scanner, after making sure the battery has the necessary charge to turn over the car, I suggest switching out the key before moving on to the starter. It would have saved me a bunch of time and money on my end...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts