Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of guys run slicks but have heard rumors that various tire mfg'ers feel our cars are to heavy!....

Thoughts?....

Why do slicks over Drag radials?.... just curious if you have heard anything?...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Humm, I'd like to hear this.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
What is it about being too heavy that would make the slicks not work right? Are you referring to that much traction combined with a heavy curb weight breaking things?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure either.... but for some reason Hoosier was trying to talk me out of slicks and go drag radial because g8's were too heavy for the slicks... but then I called them again and someone else from Hoosier said slicks were just fine... no issue...

so I think I am going to try slicks for the heck of it!!! would like to find a slick thats larger than 28/10-17 because it seems so small---- would this be better than a 295 sized drag radial???? anyother slicks that might work good or are the hoosiers the way to go????

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
A slick will always work better than any DR.

But with that much grip, better start being very careful or look forward to breakage.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There are radial slicks too that are available. There are applications were a radial is the better tire. They are more stable on the far end of the track.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are radial slicks too that are available. There are applications were a radial is the better tire. They are more stable on the far end of the track.
Guess I meant Bias ply slicks... for some reason one guy from hoosier mentioned not good on my g8, but another guy on a different call said it was fine and no issue.... just goes to show even experts from the same company have different opinions....

i was just concerned a bit after speaking with the first guy... but now I feel better. I have always used drag radials, but thought now was the time to try the bias ply slicks.... i heard they get a little squiimish at higher speeds but if its safe, then I will do it... obviously lots of guys go very fast on them so i will try.... the DR would be faster if i could take off better than a idiot... but the slicks may help my lack of driving skills :)

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
there are folks who are using them without issues. Those folks have beefed up the axles typically.

·
9 Second G8
2,875 Posts
Hoosiers are the only option in 17". I have no high speed stability issues, no issues at all. I run 16 psi in mine.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoosiers are the only option in 17". I have no high speed stability issues, no issues at all. I run 16 psi in mine.
thx tom... I think I have finally decided to do this and looking to order some on monday!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
WHOA WHOA WHOA. Sorry to revive this but I came across this doing some research and I feel as though there is a lot of wrong information here. First to the OP, The guy at hoosier in what he initially said is correct. G8's are heavy cars and it would be better to go with a DR over a slick for a few reasons. I will lay it out and ultimately you guys can decide. Slicks have very little air pressure in them and have a tall sidewall profile that allows quite a bit of flex. That being said there is some previous false information saying that since slicks provide more grip there is more potential for driveline damage when in fact that is false because of the sidewall flex. Since DR's and regular tires for that matter have a stiff sidewall and normally carry more tire pressure, IF and WHEN they do grip it is a much harsher shock to the drivetrain and THAT will equal more damage. There is a downfall to this and this is not what hoosier explained the first time the OP was talked to and that is there is much greater rolling resistance because of again, the "slop" in a slick when it has lost the centrifugal force of rolling down the strip hard and and low tire pressure that slicks require. So yes, in a sense this is a potential hindrance for our heavier cars and its multiplied as the curb weight increases but the way I look at it is if trucks can run slicks then so can we.

If you cant wrap your head around that then consider this analogy. All season tires usually carry a higher tire pressure. If you keep them inflated properly you will increase your MPG's. How you ask? Less rolling resistance in a tire fitted on a vehicle with 44PSI versus 25PSI... Now just think of running slicks with 16 psi... Get the picture?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WHOA WHOA WHOA. Sorry to revive this but I came across this doing some research and I feel as though there is a lot of wrong information here. First to the OP, The guy at hoosier in what he initially said is correct. G8's are heavy cars and it would be better to go with a DR over a slick for a few reasons. I will lay it out and ultimately you guys can decide. Slicks have very little air pressure in them and have a tall sidewall profile that allows quite a bit of flex. That being said there is some previous false information saying that since slicks provide more grip there is more potential for driveline damage when in fact that is false because of the sidewall flex. Since DR's and regular tires for that matter have a stiff sidewall and normally carry more tire pressure, IF and WHEN they do grip it is a much harsher shock to the drivetrain and THAT will equal more damage. There is a downfall to this and this is not what hoosier explained the first time the OP was talked to and that is there is much greater rolling resistance because of again, the "slop" in a slick when it has lost the centrifugal force of rolling down the strip hard and and low tire pressure that slicks require. So yes, in a sense this is a potential hindrance for our heavier cars and its multiplied as the curb weight increases but the way I look at it is if trucks can run slicks then so can we.

If you cant wrap your head around that then consider this analogy. All season tires usually carry a higher tire pressure. If you keep them inflated properly you will increase your MPG's. How you ask? Less rolling resistance in a tire fitted on a vehicle with 44PSI versus 25PSI... Now just think of running slicks with 16 psi... Get the picture?
I tried out both and when and if I hook, the DR's are so much better for sure... but when the track is crappy the the slicks help me alot... and work fine... I would prefer to use the DR's and actually had my best 60' with Dr's over the slicks.... but that is rare...

I am ok with using either now and cool with the benefits and negatives of each.... I think each serves its own purpose.... thx for the comment on this..

·
Registered
544 Posts
305/45/18 nt05r = 1.48 60' ;), but you have almost 300 more hp than I do.

·
Registered
279 Posts

I get what you are saying to an extent. Im just not a fan of the tires air pressure being the basis of your argument. I dont see how it relates to the weight of our cars. Its pretty well known that traction will find the weak links in your driveline. The stress will be directly related to the increased traction of the tire. Both tires have their pros and cons. Slicks are better out of the hole if you know how to drive with them. They can slow you down too especially with a underpowered car. Drs are good because a certain amount of spin is better than bogging at the line. I suppose it depends on a lot of dif factors. I know one thing for sure. IMO you cant say slicks are bad just because the weight of a vehicle. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
305/45/18 nt05r = 1.48 60' ;), but you have almost 300 more hp than I do.
my best is a 1.49 60' on mickey 295's DR's... :)... mine is a good 300lbs heavier and I haven't made a pass with the last 200hp I have increased.. :)... and you have "super" air.... like from superman or Hercules... :) and most of all.... I am a crappy driver!!!! :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know they are different cars, but Ive seen CTS-Vs run in the 9s on dr. Well get the car together and run it! I wanna see it go 9s!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get what you are saying to an extent. Im just not a fan of the tires air pressure being the basis of your argument. I dont see how it relates to the weight of our cars. IMO you cant say slicks are bad just because the weight of a vehicle. Just my opinion.
I'm trying to put facts out here and not opinions. I'm not talking directly about the air pressure I am just trying to prove a point and use it as an analogy. There is much more rolling resistance on a slick then there is with a DR. therefore the heavier the vehicle the more resistance there is. Which is why skinnies are used to eliminate that. I'm not saying DR's are bad either im just saying they will cause more shock then a slick due to a stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My apologies my bold comment was more of my opinion on the OPs original question. I probably should have separated my thoughts a little better on that post. As for the weight of the car and rolling resistance I'm just gonna let it be. It's more of a pick your poison situation. Both are better than street tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree. both has pros and cons and its a matter of preference. in the end g8's aren't "too heavy" for slicks. just gotta pick one that suits you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts