Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the slim ballast type in right now, so I'm thinking ahead for a replacement when these eventually die out. I have my DRL fuse pulled and I don't mind the occasional misfire because I don't have a relay. Plus, I don't like the idea of drilling through the dust boot. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quality slim ballast replacement that can nestle in the housing like I have now? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
DO NOT GET DDM !!!
PLEASE STAY AWAY !

Retrofitsource are a little more pricey HOWEVER, stand by their product and hands down the nicest kit I even installed...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
DO NOT GET DDM !!!
PLEASE STAY AWAY !

Retrofitsource are a little more pricey HOWEVER, stand by their product and hands down the nicest kit I even installed...
Okay okay, calm done lol. I don't mind spending money for quality. Do they make kits without the relay? I'll give them a look see. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Okay okay, calm done lol. I don't mind spending money for quality. Do they make kits without the relay? I'll give them a look see. Thanks.
DDM is just THAT bad...
And I'm sure someone one will chime in that they had a set installed bla bla bla for x amount of time bla bla bla... They are lucky.. There's more horror stories then good...

That being said... yes, you don't NEED to get the relay...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked out the site. An overwhelming number of options. Do I have to drill or mount anything with the morimoto kits if I don't get the relay? I'd rather not drill if I can avoid it. Will these ballasts fit in the housing? Sorry for the questions but I'd rather have real world comments rather than contact the site directly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, more than likely you'll have to drill your covers. TRS' ballast are not as slim as the DDM's.

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
DDM is just THAT bad...
And I'm sure someone one will chime in that they had a set installed bla bla bla for x amount of time bla bla bla... They are lucky.. There's more horror stories then good...

That being said... yes, you don't NEED to get the relay...
So do you need to use the RELAY HARNESS if you don't want your lights to flicker or is the lighting technology that good to where you don't need a relay harness? What about the STAND ALONE CAN-BUS?

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
My driver side H.I.D. flickers sometimes and sometimes it doesn't light off. I have to flick the lights off and then back on....... Sometimes a few times.lol

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
My ballasts are mounted on top of the fenders, tucked away hidden...
Just used 3M double stick outdoor tape.
I don't know if they will fit inside. I never seen them mounted in there before.
I use a relay harness. I read others don't. If they don't fire right away, it's due to low voltage on start up. Just turn the lights off and then when your battery light turns off, flick em back on...

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
That 3M double stick tape always seem to come off when I use it on my ballast after a few days-weeks.
Also that harness looks like its more of a hassle.....that's why I never want to use it.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
That 3M double stick tape always seem to come off when I use it on my ballast after a few days-weeks.
Also that harness looks like its more of a hassle.....that's why I never want to use it.
Well my #m hasn't come off in 3 years where it's mounted...
Either the headlight ballasts or the fog ballasts... And those are mounted vertically on the frame rails I just cleaned and wiped with a prep pad and NEVER had a issue. My motorcycle has it mounted for 6 years no issue.

As for the harness, it's not a hassle, but don't use it if you don't want. Just be aware your headlights may or not fire and you will need to turn them off and back on again... All HID's are like that. You run one extra wire across the radiator for the harness... no big deal. And the relays mount to where your washer fluid filler attaches...

·
Registered
123 Posts
You should certainly run a relay harness with HID's in this car. There is no need to pull the drl fuse with a relay harness being used as any time the relay is engaged the ballast will receive full voltage.The ballasts will last much longer with a solid power supply as well, and your lights will ignite faster with the higher startup current. As far as which brand of ballast to use, both ddm and morimoto make a good product. Personally I would use the ddm ballasts and a morimoto relay harness if on a budget, or the full morimoto kit if price is of no concern.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought the full TRS kit for this car. It is the best kit I have ever used and I have put in 50-60 hid kits. Yes you have to drill the cap but if you take half a second and think about it, it comes out great

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
I drilled my cap but I just took my caps off period. 1 year and I check them for dust and other debris/particles. Its just easier that way. I took my dust caps off of my halo lights on my 2006 impala and had them off for 2 years. No problems at all. But I'm just one person. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts