Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting this after my powerslots and hawk install. appears the brake caliper hardware is hitting the slots and now sounds like a baseball card in a bike spoke. i bent the passenger side back enough but cant get the drivers side to stop. rears are fine

also i just popped off the 8mm top caliper bracket slide pin to bend it back. Are there torque specs on these? There seems to be a yellow and green loctite on them? I have to hold the bolt with a wrench to tighten it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yes, there are specs but I forget what they are. TTY too I think. I just cleaned the locktite off and reused them with blue locktite. Did you use new brackets?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same brackets. Just easier to open them up then to take the whole caliper off again. I don't believe they're tty

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The caliper to knuckle bolts are TTY according to the manual. The retaining bolts are 31 lbs ft and are supposed to be thrown away and new ones installed as well. Regardless, I just reused all of them. You say you bent the passenger side back, what specific part did you bend? Just trying to clarify.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the confusion. i reused the caliper to knuckle 18mm bolts with red thread locker (color on mine from factory). What i'm refering to now are the 8mm slid pin bolts that hold the bracket and pads on. What's rubbing are the pad shoes. I will get them to stop, I just want to make sure the pins are torqued back down correctly.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The manual does state 31 ft lbs for the retaining bolts but fyi, I just hand tightened everything down nice and snug. I've never torqued caliper bolts "to spec" and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Slotted rotors DO make noise when you drive thats normal. Sometimes they can sound like a mini helicopter is flying right next to you as you drive. I can't imagine what caliper mounting hardware could possibly be hitting the rotors. The sound is can be much more pronounced if you're driving next to a curb or wall with your windows down.

As for torque specs for the bolts I go off the German method of making them guttentight and let it fly.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's the metal brake shoes or whatever you call them. they're bent somehow and tick. definitely not the normal slotted sound.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You mean these?If so, you can get new ones for less than $10. Disc brakes don't use shoes.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yea the clips are prob bent if you can rock the calipers side to side by hand that's your problem I did the same thing when I did the brakes.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah sorry about terminology. i was able to bend them back enough where there's only a slight noise when the wheels turned. it works for me. In hindsight I should have got new hardware with the pads. I'm not sure what you mean by rocking the calipers...

anyhow the car stops much better with the hawk pads and powerslot rotors. very smooth and firm so I'm assuming all is good with the brakes. I did use some blue loctite on reassembly.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
New brackets are cheap cheap and won't take that long to replace.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maybe so. but the noise is gone now. so no worries.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I don't get it. In the dozen or so brake jobs i've done on various cars, i've never had such a bitch of time with them. I usually never open up the caliper bracket and just slide the pads in with the caliper closed, but I couldn't do it with these clips design. I prefer not to undo any bolts I don't have to. Between these and the rotors requiring some serious hammering to get loose, this was one of the more annoying brake jobs I've had.

so minus the intial install headache. so far i'm liking the powerslots with hawk ceramic pads.

old rears

new

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.