Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Canadian G8er's,

My name is Macho and I am new to the forum. I am picking up my 2009 Hot White G8 next week and I want to order the SLP Axle Backs for the car. I am looking to delete the current resonators, add an X pipe and finally the SLP's. I have been looking on the web for the best place to purchase Slp's but everything seems to be in the states. I don't mind paying the shipping rates if it comes down to it but I was wondering if anyone on this board has ordered the SLP's from a supplier in Canada?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Macho :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am not from Canada, but I strongly suggest you reconsider the removal of those Bullet Resonators before the axle back connections; at least until you hear the set-up with everything else you're doing minus the resonator removal. Those serve to control the high frequency range of sound, and you may not like the raspy sound removing might produce. The SLP pipes also have no J-Pipe, so it will drone through the entire range.

The Solo Axle Back set-up is more highly rated by G8ers, and as a result I, too, purchased the Solo axle back set.

I recently took it a step further, though, and with the engine upgrades also installed some mid length headers. It is a smooth growl under idle, and a screaming race car wide open. Yet, the sound is tempered by those resonators.

If you were to be standing behind my car after it has been driven around and warmed up, you'd hear the slight lope of the cam and the pops that are ever so slight. Remove them resonators and it would no longer be amusing.

Just my two cents... :D

Edit: This advice is not only based on my experience, but the advice of others prior to my modifications. After about 2 weeks with the new set-up, I find that I am in full agreement. With the stock manifolds and cats, it'll be quieter for sure. However, rasp is rasp.... and even a feint one can ruin the sound.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hey, it's just my opinion. :) I just want to help a fellow auto enthusiast be happy.

Anyways, good luck finding the source you're looking for. I obviously cannot help you there.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
You will hate yourself if you get those mufflers. The drone will spoil it. If you happen to be near the GTA, Look up Zorro Muffler in Mississauga. They produce and Install the Solo Performance exhaust. go on there web site to see and hear what's available. even just the Axle backs will give you sound, and not the Drone. A lot of us have spent money
modifying and trying to make a better exhaust. Xpipes, chop this and that. I did and was never satisfied until I got the Solo cat back to go with the cats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input. I have looked at SOLO's of course and they were my next option. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with finding an SLP distributor in Canada.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This is in the V6 section, so I don't think it really matters what he does.
I clicked on the "Recent Discussions" and totally missed that. :D

I'll have to make a note of that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks GT Drew. I appreciate the input. I live in Etobicoke and I have driven past Zoro muffler many times. Does the SOLO system also eliminate the resonators?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Welcome aboard and happy modding!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
+1 for Zoro's, my first choice for exhaust work.
If your looking for something really exotic you could also try Hot Rod Scott on Kipling south of Dundas.
He's bloody expensive but his work is exceptional.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BAS G8 yah I heard the same thing about Hot Rod Scotts. I see that you are in Mississauga is your g8 your DD?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yes and no, my wife's only working on or two days a week right now so I drive her Rabbit because its so cheap on gas otherwise it's my DD. Bolt on the snows end of Nov and she goes year round.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No complaints, knew what I was getting into when I brought the car so it is what it is. Not a stomper anymore but don't waste any time either.
Put about 100KM a day, costs roughly $8 a day to run the G8 into work and back with side trips, Rabbit $3 a day.
Plus keeps the KM's off, she's over 190KM now.
When wife's hours increase so will the G8s KM's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's awesome to hear hopefully we will see each other around once I get the car. I am getting a v6 as well but I am doing my exhaust with the solo mach shorty balanced as soon as I can now.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
10-4, the meet season here is over now but watch for the Lakeview meet in the spring. Its been held at Mosport for the past coupla years and is a great day. Usually get 40-50 G8's to show.
I've left my V6 bone stock. This may change but most likely not.
Look forward to hearing your exhaust one day.
Drive safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey BAS G8 last question for you. The car I am looking at is overy 100k already. I have looked at all the necessary problems such as the timing chain. How has the reliability of your g8 been?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Really good. Every car has its quirks, mines seems to be the cooling system but overall can't/don't complain.
Any car you buy you roll the dice and take your chances.
Timing chains are a concern, just keep the oil changed. I accelerated mine from 10K to 7K. These motors apparently perfer synthetic oils, plenty of endless threads on here about oils, I use Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic. It was used by the previous owner so I stayed with it.
Hopefully you do get some history of the car so you know what has/hasn't been done, I do suggest that you swap out all fluids over time when you do get the car if they have not been done already.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The chains are a roll of the dice, some people change oil religiously others not so much.There seems to be no rhyme or reason with these chains.I change my dyno oil at 7 to 8000 km's & it seem to be okay. I use synthetic in my GT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts