Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last year or 2 (maybe more) there is no more dyno testing for OBDII. They just plug into the OBDII & let the car idle for a period of time.
My question is, is the ECM being interrogated to see that emission related equipment is in fact active & not disabled, so it doesn't throw a code?

You can PM your response if you'd like.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
The purpose of connecting to the OBDII is to verify all the monitors are are running fine and completing. This is also why you can't just clear the codes and go get a SMOG. The monitors take time to complete so the ecm will show "incomplete" until a few miles/cycles. As far as I know, having a modified tune is an instant fail though. I've never seen that and didn't learn about it In school and I'm SMOG certified.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
I'm sure if your asking if the ecm will show that the rear 02 sensors are off, it will indeed show that and you will not pass.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't live there but the answer is the same.
The ECU can be set up to do exactly that.
Case in point , my 1995 Caprice was OBD1.
It now uses an E67 ECU with calibrations based on 06 and 07 cars.
The car has no provision for Evap tests being a 95.
My calibration is set not to report evap faults.
After a fault clear, or reprogram, my car instantly reports it has passed the evap monitors even though it hasn't and couldn't have even it wanted to.

You can pretty much do that with any of them.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question relates to this article.
When I first heard it I wondered how would they know? It had to be something more than a visual inspection failure. I mean I don't leave my headers on during SMOG testing. I know better than that. ;) So unless diesel owners are backwoods imbeciles, there had to be some way they were able to identify the tampering.
What it looks like is that they took sales for tunes/delete devices & came up with a number.

·
Registered
2009 MGM GT. In need of wider tires and LSA
88 Posts
The purpose of connecting to the OBDII is to verify all the monitors are are running fine and completing. This is also why you can't just clear the codes and go get a SMOG. The monitors take time to complete so the ecm will show "incomplete" until a few miles/cycles. As far as I know, having a modified tune is an instant fail though. I've never seen that and didn't learn about it In school and I'm SMOG certified.
I'm not in CA but with HPtuners you can set various sensors such as secondary O2 sensors to "report no errors" or whatever the exact wording is.
As far as i can tell this will have all monitors report as good. Also some states will allow a pass with monitor "pending"

Does California scan the car to check if the tune matches a stock tune?

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I've run it through the test with a Cortex tune before. But, there is nothing disabled in a Cortex tune.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
I've ran through a smog many times and had to come back due to monitors not completing yet. Usually it's the O2 sensors on my father in laws 01' Silverdao (and other GM's). The O2 monitors require a very specific drive cycle to run and can take about a week of normal driving to fully complete. I know someone who knows someone, totally not me, who will pass the car for $200. This is illegal and I don't condone it. I definitely wouldn't go to a cars and coffee one weekend and just chat up the car owners to ask them where they got their smog done. Yep, definitely don't do that.

·
Registered
PBM GXP M6 Onyx/Red, 51k, stock. Sold: Original owner 09 GT PBM Onyx 70k
94 Posts
This question is germane to me as my G8 is titled in Kansas, but I'm wondering if I return to CA, would it pass with a Cortex tune and AFM/DOD disabled? Sure, I could reload the stock tune for testing and then reload my Cortex tune, but I am curious as to what would pass.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
I think any modified ecm automatically fails. The aggressiveness of the cam or exhaust would just make it fail the visual inspection. If you did a DOD delete with a stock ls3 cam, I think "maybe" it would pass but I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think any modified ecm automatically fails
And you base this comment on what information?
Although we stopped testing of light duty vehicals here about 4 years ago, prior to that we paralleled California procedures .
Other than all tests were done at government run stations.
Visual, im240 treadmill while reading all emissions, connection to DLC for readiness .
What do they do in California that would show that there were changes in the calibration during a routine inspection for emission compliance.

I am not talking about when a car or carline is put under a microscope because they are suspect.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
They do not do the treadmill here anymore as of a few years ago or the sniffer. I got my smog certification around 2013 and never used it as I started working on trucks instead of cars. I would assume if you had a car from out of state that was tuned with a cam, it would have the rear o2 sensors turned off. My only "modified" experience is my 2000 Grand Am that didn't pass smog due to headers and a tune and my buddy's CTSV that he says hasn't passed a smog for almost 10 years. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Cali had some sort of software that was pulling ecm calibration info and comparing it to similar vehicles and maybe issuing a pass/fail based on that.

Getting state reffed is totally different. Here, if your car is found to be modified, you'll usually get a fix-it ticket and be told to take it back to stock and then go to a CHP facility for another inspection to verify it's "returned to stock". Usually its for loud exhaust. Second time caught is another ticket and possibly impounded car, third time is a larger fine as well as impound and possibly jail time i believe.

But Cali is awesome, we have In n Out.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
...But Cali is awesome, we have In n Out.
In-N-Out came here a few years ago, but venture to say it doesn't taste quite the same as many of the locations in California.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In N Out is way over rated. In a pinch it will do, but 5 Guys has better burgers & fries.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
This is very interesting stuff. So I went to the smog shop that I use (star certified level shop). Asked a few questions about this subject an agree that "AndrewR" thoughts are pretty correct Apparently there are a couple of manufactures that make an sell shorty headers that are CARB certified but as of now no long tubes yet. You might be able to get away with high flow cats, but he says there pretty obvious to look at an tell that they are not CARB versions by they way they are welded an clamped up. They can see when H02 extenders are installed (an flunk you on that also) Finding a way to modify those HO2 sensors in an undetectable way to get the sensed air flow moving past the sensor (as originally intended while remaining active), is the way to go. Their test computer does indeed look for a "proper feedback signal" from the down stream HO2 sensors, an can see "if" they have been turned off (to prevent the P0420 an P0430 fault codes from being picked up). When the computer see's no info coming back from those 2 downstream sensors. it will immediately fault an flag the smog test computer, an the test will be aborted as a failure.
Yes you can get away with a modified cam in the engine. Even though the tech can tell its obviously a modified cam, he's unable to prove that out (being internal). You can trick out your heads as long as they are the original correct heads. If he can tell that they are after market type units (like stamping marks or some type of visual difference), he can fail you on that.
He knows that there are smog tech people that have designed a box that can have desired perimeters programed into it that can get yours or probably most anybody's car to pass (no mater how wild it is). You just have to find the guy that can overlook things installed on the car, and possibly be able to trick out the info getting back to their test computer.

I go to IN AN OUT pretty much every day, an I won't argue that the 5 GUYS (just down the road) double burger, fries an drink are pretty good (as I remember). The bad is, that (that) meal costs $17.64 vs the same stuff at IN an OUT for $8.50 where I live. I don't make the kind of money to warrant that stiff 5 GUYS price for maybe just a touch better meal.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My VCM OTR intake passed last time. That thing is so well designed it's hard not to think it's OEM.
Yeah, 5 guys is expensive.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If what you say is true, and they are actually looking for rear O2 data during the inspection, that would be pretty basic numbers if you are not on a dyno.
The numbers would have to be a pass- fail deal not open to testers interpretation.
The old O2 simulator deal comes to mind.
The OBD2 check here was the same Ebco Hamilton gang .
A normal ECU looksee was just readiness.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Because we dont have IN-N-OUT here it is more a treat- tradition when we go to California to spew leaded fuel by the barrel .
I know the closest ones to Sonoma, Laguna, Long Beach ;)

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
357 Posts
I don't know how they pass a car that should fail. All I know is you pay the man and look away and "voila" your car passed. I do know that there is a pretty steep fines, over 10s of thousands of dollars, and probably jail time if you are found to pass a car that should fail.

Also, In n Out is only "alright" IMO. but I'm not from Cali originally. I don't get the hype and ridiculously long lines (usually 20+ cars) for an "alright" burger. Five Guys is far superior.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts